Nice holiday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nice holiday

Well ive spent a wonderfull week up at Barnard Castle.
    When i say i have the family has, ive spent last few days trying to find out why my car kept over heating. it first started on the A1 through the road works travelling really slowly when one of the little coolant hoses under the thermostat housing ruptured, and everything got a bit steamy. luckily i was near a section of road where i could get (i dont want to say it but towed......................... .... to the next services. the very kind truck driver went the his local garage and bought a new bit of pipe and replaced it, filled it back up again with water and i was on my merry way.

The next day my temp guage shot up into the red and turns out there was no water left in the system, it had boiled dry. after further inspection there was no more leaks from any of the pipes the culprit was the rad cap, it didnt seal properly. So a quick trip to a halfrauds to get a replacement. (oh Turns out they do not stock bits for hilux surf, however the rad cap for a landcruiser 2.4 is exactly the same. should be as its the same engine lol).

anyway got it replaced and refilled and all was ok untill the next day when it happened again. boiled itself dry. so only one other thing it could be, the thermostat was stuck closed, with no water running around the engine it was being pumped out through the expansion tank i guess. so now im running my car without a thermostat untill a new one arrives.

Driving home today was sooooooooo nice not having to stop and let it cool before refilling it with water. anyway that was my holiday.

I'm going to do a sharp intake of breath here mate and say if it's boiled dry, twice, the possibility of a cracked head may be on the cards!

I certainly hope not, and I' m keeping my fingers crossed for you.
    'Tis better to sting than to be stung!

Comment

i hope not too, i stopped almost straight away and turned it off when the gauge went up. it still runs fine and doesn't seem to smoke any more than before. i will take it to have that sniffer test done. any other sighns i should look out for?

Comment

oh and its still got all its water in it from when i filled it up after taking the thermostat out.
        the stat did look a little bit black and what looks like silicone stuck to it. dunno what that stuff is tho.

Comment

Working...
        X