Buying a 4x4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buying a 4x4

I'm in the market for a new car as my Volvo is very soon to be pronounced dead (RIP 960, you weren't so bad when you worked).

Anyway, my general requirements are a large, comfortable, and reliable car. I'm not a high mileage driver, but general use is for shopping trips (esp B&Q and the like) and frequent camping weekends. Full off-road capability isn't a must, but I do occasionally need to deal with conditions that cause a 2wd car to struggle.

Given all that, I've come to the conclusion that a 4x4 style vehicle would suit me just fine. Having looked at what is available on the market I came across the HiSurf range, and I'm quite impressed. But I have a few questions that I hope some of the members here could help me with...

1. Why choose a HiSurf over say a Discovery or GrandCherokee (or any of the other popular 4x4s)?
    2. What to look out for when viewing a potential purchase?
    3. What are the pitfalls of owning a vehicle that has been imported privately?
    4. I have a price range of around £4500, am I likely to be able to get a good one for that sort of money?

TIA

Slugsie
    Paul </Slugsie>
    Immortal.so far!

best thing to do is browse the site and put in a search for all your questions as for your money youll end up with a better more luxurious car for your wonga than what you can pick up a disco or jeep for no two ways about it.........
    if a politition is talking its lying

Comment

1. Why choose a HiSurf over say a Discovery or GrandCherokee (or any of the other popular 4x4s)?

Ive had both of those ( new and old ones ) along with others and the SURF leaves them standing.

2. What to look out for when viewing a potential purchase?

Search for a bargain on here, some of these guys are selling very good cars for your budget

3. What are the pitfalls of owning a vehicle that has been imported privately?

Same as any other car !

4. I have a price range of around £4500, am I likely to be able to get a good one for that sort of money?

Ditto 2

Good luck and be ready to smileeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
      3RD GEN 3.0TD 1996 SSR-X BLUE OVER SILVER

Comment

Originally posted by Slugsie

Slugsie
        1. Disco, unless you can afford one of the later ones with active suspension enhancement, they handle slightly less well than the Ark Royal. Grand Cherokee - great motor, even greater thirst. Makes the Surf look mega economical. I had a 4.0L cherokee in thye middle east when I lived there, even with fuel at £1.20 a Gallon the thirst was attrocious - about 14mpg on a run.

Cheers

Comment

Slugsie

Welcome to the forum
          To find out why you should buy a surf just get yourself a test drive of one, they generally speak for themselves. I have lost count of the cars i have owned and loved but the surf as an all rounder is the best yet!!!
          My opposite neighbour has a discovery and after looking at our surf he reckons it is loads better than the disco!!!
          If you are in no hurry why not have a look in the offroad centres section and see when a few of us are meeting up and come along to find out all you need to know.
          Good luck, Ed
          If it aint broke...........give it some more abuse!!!!!!!!
          I gave it some abuse.................and it broke!!!!!!!

Comment

Thanks guys.

I'm pretty convinced that the Surf represents the best buy in the range. I've just got to find one that I can reasonably get to (I currently have no transport other than public) from St Annes Lancs.

Here's to the search...
            Paul </Slugsie>
            Immortal.so far!

Comment

Working...
            X