Heat exchanger

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heat exchanger

Juat won myself a heat exchanger so i can run 100% veggy oil and the man wants to know a few spec`s before he send`s it and as the truck is in work i can`t go and look. Anyone know what size the connector`s for the fuel pipe are ?

What sort of connections on the heat exchanger? Is it a coolant one or electric one?
    I think mine are 8mm ID for the flexi ones.
    l'm FAME-ous!

Comment

Originally posted by kamaangir View Post
      What sort of connections on the heat exchanger? Is it a coolant one or electric one?
      I think mine are 8mm ID for the flexi ones.
      Its both, come`s from germany so i`m not sure if anything is lost in translation. the exact request was "Tell us the Size of the Nozzle (Connectors)for the Fuel Pipe. (6mm or 8mm or 10mm are possible)" Here`s a pic of it anyway
      Attached Files

Comment

How much was it?
        l'm FAME-ous!

Comment

Cost me £100

Comment

The glow plug heater is not a lot of use, it can't deliver enough heat to heat up veg oil quick enough or at the quantity that the IP uses. The coolant side should be good enough though, if it has enough plates.
            Make sure you test it to make sure it won't drain your batteries when you first turn on the ignition.
            l'm FAME-ous!

Comment

Originally posted by kamaangir View Post
              The glow plug heater is not a lot of use, it can't deliver enough heat to heat up veg oil quick enough or at the quantity that the IP uses. The coolant side should be good enough though, if it has enough plates.
              Make sure you test it to make sure it won't drain your batteries when you first turn on the ignition.
              The glow plugs are only used until the the coolant reaches temperature, they are automatically controlled by a temperature sensor / switch . I have this exact setup in my truck.

It is 8mm fuel pipe you need.

I have no proplem with battery drain but then I do have two Bosch 12V Silver Car Batteries (HSB019) installed. I have also used the cig lighter for the relay switch live so you can't drain the batteries by leaving the system switched on when the ignition is off.

Comment

I just gave away a homemade coolant exchanger, running on 100% veg was the plan (not finished due to veg prices and lack of a constant supply of old stuff) unless your gonna go to town regarding warming the oil i'd start on derv and switch over when the engine's hot enough, i still have the second fuel tank with an exchanger inside if it's any use, fitts up where the spare underslung goes, (free before anyone mentions paying for an add)
                the plan was second heated tank, exchanger near the front, glowplug (2) in a small swirl tank as close to the IP as poss, feed via an electric fuel pump, so the IP only had to draw it from the swirl tank, heated fuel line tape, third deep cycle batt to power it all,
                veg oil needs to be warm or thinned to take the load off the IP or the next step is an expensive IP repair,
                Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

Originally posted by POPEYE View Post
                  i still have the second fuel tank with an exchanger inside if it's any use, fitts up where the spare underslung goes, (free before anyone mentions paying for an add)
                  That would be great but it would have to be posted, how big are we talking, too big to post ?

Comment

I just gave away a homemade coolant exchanger, running on 100% veg was the plan (not finished due to veg prices and lack of a constant supply of old stuff) unless your gonna go to town regarding warming the oil i'd start on derv and switch over when the engine's hot enough, i still have the second fuel tank with an exchanger inside if it's any use, fitts up where the spare underslung goes, (free before anyone mentions paying for an add)
                    the plan was second heated tank, exchanger near the front, glowplug (2) in a small swirl tank as close to the IP as poss, feed via an electric fuel pump, so the IP only had to draw it from the swirl tank, heated fuel line tape, third deep cycle batt to power it all,
                    veg oil needs to be warm or thinned to take the load off the IP or the next step is an expensive IP repair,
                    obviously this is schrodingers-cat's post so he should have first call but if he is not interested I would be very interested as I have been loooking for a spare underslung wheel tank for a while now. I am looking for ways to increase range. Are they legal to fit in this country I know some of the foreign tanks are banned .

Comment

Originally posted by mr.rosco View Post
                      The glow plugs are only used until the the coolant reaches temperature, they are automatically controlled by a temperature sensor / switch . I have this exact setup in my truck.

It is 8mm fuel pipe you need.

I have no proplem with battery drain but then I do have two Bosch 12V Silver Car Batteries (HSB019) installed. I have also used the cig lighter for the relay switch live so you can't drain the batteries by leaving the system switched on when the ignition is off.
                      I forgot to meantion, I have also fitted a heated fuel primer, I think it is off a Land Cruiser. It mean't reducing the input fuel line from 10mm - 8mm and running a piggy back connection from the glow plug output of the relay but this now means the the half litre of fuel (at a guess) in the fuel filter is heated to, just until the coolant reaches temperature.

Comment

Originally posted by mr.rosco View Post
                        obviously this is schrodingers-cat's post so he should have first call but if he is not interested I would be very interested as I have been loooking for a spare underslung wheel tank for a while now. I am looking for ways to increase range. Are they legal to fit in this country I know some of the foreign tanks are banned .
                        After a bit of thought, what with the distance and lack of time to do stuff. Dont let me stand in your way. go for it

Comment

Originally posted by schrodingers-cat View Post
                          After a bit of thought, what with the distance and lack of time to do stuff. Dont let me stand in your way. go for it
                          That's really kind of you, but take some more time, sleep on it. If you still don't want it by tomorrow afternoon I wil pm Popeye. Cheers Ross

Comment

Originally posted by schrodingers-cat View Post
                            That would be great but it would have to be posted, how big are we talking, too big to post ?
                            Too big for regular post (parcelforce) i'm guessing so it'd be courier (haveing said that a courier just lost a package for me from stormy, you could ask on here regarding a surf train, it's not that heavy, just bulky,

mr rosco! if scrounger cat dosen't want it you are welcome, it's just gathering dust under the bench, dont know the legal side of it but i had it fitted for about two years with no probs (mot wise anyway) as it would be carrying veg oil or even derv i doubt a rear end impact would cause an explosion, just a mess on the road
                            the tank itself is for a landy defender 100 (rear mount ) 80 lt and was brand new when i got it, it also had a new sender unit (fitted) and like i said i fitted an internal heat exch which was nickel plated (there were some issues about veg oil and copper at the time, degrading problems) these pics are of when i first fitted it so bear in mind it nice and shiney then but a little grubby now, it's never had any oil, derv or anything in it, i taped up the filler to stop $hit getting in, aqlso you will need to make up brackets to hang it on a surf, i've cannabalised the olduns for other stuff, quite easy to make, some threaded rod, flat bar, rubber strip, mostly from B&Q,
                            i did ask on here before when i intended selling all the veg oil stuff, no takers so i stuck it all on ebay, everything sold apart from the tank,
                            Attached Files
                            Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

Too big for regular post (parcelforce) i'm guessing so it'd be courier (haveing said that a courier just lost a package for me from stormy, you could ask on here regarding a surf train, it's not that heavy, just bulky,

mr rosco! if scrounger cat dosen't want it you are welcome, it's just gathering dust under the bench, dont know the legal side of it but i had it fitted for about two years with no probs (mot wise anyway) as it would be carrying veg oil or even derv i doubt a rear end impact would cause an explosion, just a mess on the road
                              the tank itself is for a landy defender 100 (rear mount ) 80 lt and was brand new when i got it, it also had a new sender unit (fitted) and like i said i fitted an internal heat exch which was nickel plated (there were some issues about veg oil and copper at the time, degrading problems) these pics are of when i first fitted it so bear in mind it nice and shiney then but a little grubby now, it's never had any oil, derv or anything in it, i taped up the filler to stop $hit getting in, aqlso you will need to make up brackets to hang it on a surf, i've cannabalised the olduns for other stuff, quite easy to make, some threaded rod, flat bar, rubber strip, mostly from B&Q,
                              i did ask on here before when i intended selling all the veg oil stuff, no takers so i stuck it all on ebay, everything sold apart from the tank,
                              Hi Popeye, if scrounger cat still dosen't want it, I definetly do, with my four gerry cans I could get an impressive 200ltr range which would be useful for my moutntaineering hobby, I would actually be able to spend money on food as well as diesel lol. I can't pm you at the moment as I am still waiting for my account to be upgraded, I have paid my fees so hope fully today or tomorrow. So if if scrounger cat dosen't want it and you are around at the weekend, maybe Saturday am I would love to pick it up. I will pm you as soon as I can. Cheers Ross

Comment

Working...
                              X