Motor bike writes off my truck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Motor bike writes off my truck

Sadly my truck has been, or will be written off.

On my way home from a family dinner on the A22 a motor cyclist appeared from behind a traffic island sliding along the road with its rider still attached into the path of my oncoming truck. I was doing approximately 40mph before i saw him. I should add the limit for the road was 60mph

Despite heavy braking and swerving i was unable to avoid him. In all reality the size of the Hilux saved his life and quite likely avoided my passenger and i from being injured.

The front passenger side wheel hit his bike and it appears by the fact he is still alive with very few injuries that he went under the truck almost untouched.

His bike was a Triamph daytona weighing approx 200kg was literally picked up and thrown up the road by the truck and obliterated into many unrecognizable pieces. The wheels could not be found.

From what witnesses say he was overtaking cars and would of been in excess of 60mph

The Damage

The front wheel of the truck collapsed under the truck ending up parallel to the road. The passenger side step came off, the passenger side windsceen was cracked from the forces that traveled through the truck.

We were both wearing seat belts and the airbags deployed. I was uninjured excecpt bruised ribs and my passenger is suffering from some back and neck pain.

The motorcyclist was taken to hospital with broken leg or legs and i expect many bruises. He was wearing full leathers and full face helmet, the visor of which ended up 10 meters down the road from him.

In all he is a very very lucky man and in my opinion, if he had been hit by a normal car he would most likely of been killed.

http://www.theargus.co.uk/news/90429...near_Hailsham/
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Matt.n.p; 23 May 2011, 23:43.

ah, not good, glad no-one is too badly hurt
    Alan

yoshie "Didn't know they had a pill for laziness, anyway get well soon."

Comment

Yeah that.... A22 is a fast road and I'm prob guilty at times without even realising it.
      .... Which was nice.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt.n.p View Post
        His bike was a Triamph daytona weighing approx 200kg was literally picked up and thrown up the road by the truck and obliterated into many unrecognizable pieces. The wheels could not be found.
        Just be thankful what you described was the bike, not the rider...

Glad everyone involved is still with us.

Trucks can be replaced...lives can't.
        "B.A." Baracus: "Talk to me, talk sense so I can talk back. Not all this jibberjabber like breaking the peace and all that."
        www.johnthebuilder.info

Comment

Originally posted by Wolfracer View Post
          Just be thankful what you described was the bike, not the rider...

Glad everyone involved is still with us.

Trucks can be replaced...lives can't.

If my post seemed a bit heartless and cold it was not ment to be.

I intend to go visit the rider in hospital to see how his doing and if he wishes tell him what happened. I expect his memory would of blocked it out.

I genuinely believe that he is incredibly lucky and the height of the hilux ment he passed underneath and as you say, did not end up like the bike.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt.n.p View Post
            If my post seemed a bit heartless and cold it was not ment to be.

I intend to go visit the rider in hospital to see how his doing and if he wishes tell him what happened. I expect his memory would of blocked it out.

I genuinely believe that he is incredibly lucky and the height of the hilux ment he passed underneath and as you say, did not end up like the bike.
            Fair enough dude. Hope all goes well.
            "B.A." Baracus: "Talk to me, talk sense so I can talk back. Not all this jibberjabber like breaking the peace and all that."
            www.johnthebuilder.info

Comment

FWIW, I didn't pickup that you were heartless. This is a Surf forum, so your post content was from the perspective of your Surf. Overtaking at 60 in a 40 zone is literally tempting fate.

Hope the rider is well. Crashing from a bike is very scary.

Wolfracer, my comments above mean no disrespect or judgement of your post - just letting Matt.n.p know my perception of his post.

Matk
              :

Comment

Thankful you are alive and well to tell the tale,at least my Surf was fixable, now you have the unenviable task of getting a good insurance deal ! Good Luck !
                Death rides a Black Horse

Comment

He is very lucky, as you say if it had been a "normal" car/van he hit he'd doubtless be dead now, i've had a couple of motorcycling accidents with my old triumph years ago, you dont stand much of a chance on a motorbike, glad there weren't any fatalitys,
                  Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

[QUOTE=Matt.n.p;718036]Sadly my truck has been, or will be written off.

On my way home from a family dinner on the A22 a motor cyclist appeared from behind a traffic island sliding along the road with its rider still attached into the path of my oncoming truck.

I hope the insurance goes ok for you but how did the motorcyclist fall in the 1st place , was another factor involved in causing this, another veichal, road conditions, pothole etcetc insurance will look into this if another fault is to blame. dont want to throw spannerin worx so to speak but i know what insurance companys are like
                    hope all goes well for you
                    surfs just steal all ya money

Comment

It appears from what the driver said who the bike was over taking, that the rider did not see the traffic island untill it was to late, he tried to go around it on the wrong side of road and clipped the kerb causing him to come off. It may be that he was braking heavily having seen my oncoming truck and lost traction on the gravely unused part of the road that tend to biuld either side of traffic island like this one.

Few things i found odd, the rider was local and i would of expected him to of known the road and of the traffic island. His bike did not have its lights on. It was dusk and its common for bikes to have there lights on all the time. It maybe that had his lights been on i may of seen the event develop sooner and had more time do avoid him.

Comment

Sorry to hear that dude and glad no one was seriously hurt. Bummer that your Surf had to suffer but lucky for the guy on the bike. Hope you get top dollar from the insurance company.

Comment

Had a brand new Mitsubishi Warrior come to day as a replacement.

In all honesty i much prefer my 1996 Hilux surf.

Ive got used to sitting up nice and high. The warrior feels just like a big car and not like a truck at all.

And the warrior only having 793 miles on the clock rattles.

Comment

The C**ts at insurance company have offered me £2200 as a settlement. I told them to #### right off. The tyres alone going to cost £600 to replace.

Comment

I recently fixed up a written off 96' truck that was settled for £3800, in the end, after an opening offer of £3k.

He sent them a load of ads showing what it would cost to replace, and they agreed inital offer was to low.
                              4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Working...
                              X