If you had to..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If you had to..

Either get rid of your surf and get a regular car, or get another car as a daily driver.

What would you buy?

Cos I may well have too, hoping to go the second car path though.

peace
    cal
    Bala Mud, best underseal there is, only £30 per application.

www.thecellardwellers.co.uk

re

I'd deffo get something that was really cheap to tax and insure and did 70 miles to the gallon!

I honestly wouldn't mind driving an 800cc Daewoo Matiz or summat like that!

It's all about saving pennies now!

Comment

Jus for school run and moochin about, or for giggin too?

For moochin..306 diesel or similar
      For giggin etc..passat estate TDi (dads jus got one), cavernous load area, nice an comfy, and cheapish to run..I've been gettin jus shy of 50mpg pottering about & 70 on the expressway.

Comment

i had my daily before the surf..

55 plate passat 2.0 TDI - goes like stink, pulls like a train, has more torque than a surf and returns good mpg...

coming for 2 years ownership and other than a service its cost me nothing, getting ready for a change in about 6 months time

Comment

LS430, they are cheap as chips just now.
          Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

I got a Peugeot 406 HDI estate about 2 years ago, thinking to replace the Surf. It drove well 50+ mpg (supposedly), good performance, comfortable, lots of toys etc. My wife and I hated it, it was totally soulless compared to the Surf. So we kept the Surf and sold the Pug. Now I run it on Biodiesel fuel consumption doesn't matter.

Going on a driving holiday is totally different tho' unless I can get hold of a bowser trailer.

But if I could afford the fuel it'd either be a Nissan Stagea or VW Touareg R50. I'd keep the Surf.

Comment

Ford (fix or repair daily) Fiesta zetec that's what I'm getting
              Death rides a Black Horse

Comment

I'm thinking in about 6 months time of chopping in the passat for a newer hilux - since having the surf I prefer the higher driving position, but dont really want to loose too many mpg's

i think a nice doublecab as a daily with road tyres and the surf would look great on the drive

Comment

FIAT 500 - ours will be arriving in 5 or 6 weeks. 61mpg - read it and weep!

Is that the new Fiesta John? Looked at one a couple of weeks back. Really nice, loads of kit for the money, but MUCH bigger than early Fiestas, which is why the missus rejected it in favour of the wee cute FIAT.
                  Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

I sold my surf just over three years ago to help pay for the M3.

Missed it so much I boguht it back when it came up for sale again

What about an LS400? lots of car for the money then when you get bored, buy a surf and canabalise the LS
                    More Lift.
                    More Tyres.
                    More Engine.

Comment

Give me an Original Mini any day of the week.

Loads of Fun, enough room for a couple of shopping bags and 4 Seats too, what more can you ask for
                      Always room for more power!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Apache View Post
                        FIAT 500 - ours will be arriving in 5 or 6 weeks. 61mpg - read it and weep!

Is that the new Fiesta John? Looked at one a couple of weeks back. Really nice, loads of kit for the money, but MUCH bigger than early Fiestas, which is why the missus rejected it in favour of the wee cute FIAT.
                        Yes Andy, I had one as a courtesy car while the Surf was in for surgery !!! Brother -in-law has two for his business (had them 'wrapped' in company logos etc) he says they reglarly get 55mpg round town and suburbs and insurance is fairly cheap
                        Him being ex ford tells me the Fiat 500 is on the Ford Ka chassis ? Tina wanted the abarth version then looked at the insurance oh and she finally got to drive at Croft in a very tasty 4wd Celica, now she is really gutted !!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by John h View Post
                          Yes Andy, I had one as a courtesy car while the Surf was in for surgery !!! Brother -in-law has two for his business (had them 'wrapped' in company logos etc) he says they reglarly get 55mpg round town and suburbs and insurance is fairly cheap
                          Him being ex ford tells me the Fiat 500 is on the Ford Ka chassis ? Tina wanted the abarth version then looked at the insurance oh and she finally got to drive at Croft in a very tasty 4wd Celica, now she is really gutted !!!!!
                          Yes, I believe there's a lot of commonality between the Ka and the 500. I test drove it a few weeks back and love it!

The GT-Four... I bet it was brilliant at Croft. Grips like shit on a blanket!
                          Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

I like the Fiat 500 but more boot space in the Fiesta, i can't find enough excuses to keep the Surf.

Yes tina was really happy she had an extra 5 laps and still didn't come 'un-stuck' so shit to the proverbial blanket was used on a number of occasions and she knocked 3.72 seconds off a pro in a subaru works mod !!!

Comment

+1 for the Passat but they are expensive. I had new one for a week with work and it went better than the wife's Saab 95 Aero and did twice the mpg.

Currently cycling to work as much as poss - if the surf does 25 mpg, it equates to 100 mpg if I only use it one day in 4

But I guess the criteria here is something to use as a miserable beater to save running costs, so that rules out spending more than the Surf is worth.

After years of driving my own choice of fast or interesting motors it would depress me everyday to drive a car that's been purchased solely because it's cheap . Probably a Focus TDCi and get the dual-mass flywheel welded shut. At least they handle well and the Mk1 shape still looks good.
                              Surf if you got a wave. Wave if you got a Surf.™

Comment

Working...
                              X