Fed up with it, but.....!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fed up with it, but.....!

At present we have a 2010 Ford Mondeo 2.0L diesel auto and this car has to have the worst auto gearbox in the world. If slowing down gradually almost to a stop and then accelerating, nothing happens as the car does not know which gear to select. Not funny when you have entered an intersection and that artic that was a million miles away is suddenly looking at imprinting its radiator on the driver's window.
    As this has happened on more than one occasion and Ford state that it is normal, we have given up and put a deposit down on another Surf! Metallic Blue 3.0L auto diesel "N" reg with some bling LEDS lights around the headlights and on the running boards.
    Drives well except that you can only select 4 wheel drive when in low ratio, i.e. when you pull it towards you. Dealer said that more than likely it is just the button on the ratio select that is faulty and will fix it first before selling it on. Looking forward to collecting it and having a Surf again under my backside.

Dealers don't have mechanics anymore, they would rather have 'technicians' who know how to plug in a scanner and have a screen tell them waht might be wrong.

Have you checked the transmission fluid in the Mondeo yourself?
    Fluid and/or speed sensor input are the only things that can cause auto transmission problems.

Re: the 4wd problem, sounds like the vacuum side of things isn't working.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
      Dealers don't have mechanics anymore, they would rather have 'technicians' who know how to plug in a scanner and have a screen tell them waht might be wrong.

Have you checked the transmission fluid in the Mondeo yourself?
      Fluid and/or speed sensor input are the only things that can cause auto transmission problems.

Re: the 4wd problem, sounds like the vacuum side of things isn't working.
      The Mondeo has been doing this since day one. Transmission fluid is okay. The issue lies with the software governing the gearbox ECU and Ford are reluctant to pay money to resolve the issue.

On the Surf side, if you slow down but are still moving and prss the 4WD button it does nto engage. If you stop and move the stick down into what I assume is low ratio, then it engages 4 WD, but obviously you cannot use thsi to drive along a normal road.
      Do you still think it is a vacuum problem and if so, is it a big job to do? Vehicle has only done 65,000 miles. I have only out down a small deposit on the motor but the dealer in Bolton seems to have a good reputation. Thanks for any advice.

Comment

Originally posted by Surf01 View Post
        Do you still think it is a vacuum problem and if so, is it a big job to do? Vehicle has only done 65,000 miles. I have only out down a small deposit on the motor but the dealer in Bolton seems to have a good reputation. Thanks for any advice.
        This is the fix to defeat the vacuum system...

http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/showthread.php?p=673242

Comment

Good write up as long as the dealer selling us the vehicle allows for 4WD to be engaged as and when required and not locked in permanently when they fix it. That is if it is the vacuum problem.

Comment

Working...
          X