Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More lift required..

Morning Guys n gals

I'm hoping to go up in the world a little more (only an inch or so) so I'm after some parts or even just some advice on 'what's best'..

I've already got monroe gas shocks +2" all round and the +2" rear springs from roughtrax..

Recently I've (well Tony) has fitted some 1.5" ball joint spacers up front, so thats allowed more lift if required.. (will get a tony special front diff drop kit fitted soon too)

So I'm hoping to get some more lift on the rear

What would be your recommendations - Ideally I want about 1" - 1.5"

I'm also going to be fitting a 2" body lift and about to order some 33's too

I've read up quite a bit and seen my options are that I can either use coil spacers or even Landcruiser springs..

Would I be correct in thinking that i will need...

either a panhard rod drop kit (or get it cut and welded)

either space plates or sourcing new Landcruiser springs
    (If springs which ones are best?)

and finally, would my +2 monroe shocks be ok, or should i source longer ones?

Money as usual is a little tight, but I would really like to get it right..

Thanks in advance..

p.s - if you can help with any of the above parts - pelase see post in wanted

I can't help with any of the parts but might be able to help when it comes to fitting your body lift if you want to organise a few others for a tech day?
    “Do or do not... there is no try.”

Comment

Inline

Originally posted by lawsy View Post
      Morning Guys n gals

Would I be correct in thinking that i will need...

either a panhard rod drop kit (or get it cut and welded)
      Not necessarily. Do the job first, then assess whether the body is noticeably shifted laterally. Regarding a drop bracket - if you go that way, get it welded to the chassis. I had one bolted on and ripped the bolt heads through it whilst offroad. I took it off and fitted the rod back into the original position and it barely affected the body position - maybe 10mm shift
      either space plates or sourcing new Landcruiser springs
      (If springs which ones are best?)
      I had the blue LJ80 springs from milners. They are pretty firm. If you are happy with your ride quality, and your springs are in good nick, I'd go for spacers. I'd go that way if I was doing it again.
      and finally, would my +2 monroe shocks be ok, or should i source longer ones?
      You may find them OK as you may never fully extend them anyway unless your rear axle drops off. Try it and see. I had +2" ones with a 3" lift and it was never an issue.
      Money as usual is a little tight, but I would really like to get it right..

Thanks in advance..

p.s - if you can help with any of the above parts - pelase see post in wanted
      Last edited by Apache; 23 May 2011, 11:22.
      Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Originally posted by Apache View Post
        Inline

Many thanks for the advice

I'll look for a set of spacers, get them fitted and then see how the body sits..

Springs n shocks arent 6 months old, so be good not to change them..

Comment

Dont forget you will also (probably) need an extended brake flexy at the rear or as i did lower the load compensator by 2" or so (both ends, spacers and bracket at the hose end and a bracket at the rod end,see pics) re the panard rod i just cut it in half, then once the new LC springs were on and the truck sitting on its wheels i refitted the rod haveing found a bit or solid steel bar that fitted into each end ~(the rod is hollow tube) as apache says there was about 10-15mm gap, tack welded it, removed it and fully welded it till i built up enough weld to grind down to the rod diameter, i still have the original shocks but they do top out on bumps etc, also removed the arb, with lc springs it aint rolling at all but the ride is hard
          Attached Files
          Last edited by POPEYE; 23 May 2011, 18:20.
          Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

I've currently got the ARB removed and the ride is pretty hard on the rear - which i like..

I'm thinking (yorkshire tight head on) that if i purchase soem LC springs I'll get the desired extra 1" this would be cheaper than spacers and then means i can sell my plus 2" springs to a mate who badly needs to sort his saggy rear out..

I cant see many on roughtrax etc.. would these be the right ones?

Comment

I've currently got the ARB removed and the ride is pretty hard on the rear - which i like..

I'm thinking (yorkshire tight head on) that if i purchase soem LC springs I'll get the desired extra 1" this would be cheaper than spacers and then means i can sell my plus 2" springs to a mate who badly needs to sort his saggy rear out..

I cant see many on roughtrax etc.. would these be the right ones?
              not sure about roughtrax's part numbers as i got mine from milners but they look right, give barry a call and check, the lc springs will give you about 3" lift,
              and you will need the alloy "seating" rings for the top, they dont fit too well otherwise, i did it without em at first and the spring tends to shift to the back and foul the shock, dont know if stiens still doing them
              Attached Files
              Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

Originally posted by POPEYE View Post
                not sure about roughtrax's part numbers as i got mine from milners but they look right, give barry a call and check, the lc springs will give you about 3" lift,
                and you will need the alloy "seating" rings for the top, they dont fit too well otherwise, i did it without em at first and the spring tends to shift to the back and foul the shock, dont know if stiens still doing them
                cheers for that - thought they were a straight fit..

Comment

cheers for that - thought they were a straight fit..

Some seat OK some don't.
                  I have standard duty Landcruiser J80 springs, they still give the lift but give a softer ride and are made from thinner bar so they seat properly like the Surf springs.

Something else for you to consider.

Comment

cheers chaps

I like a firm ride.. oooeerrr.. so think I will go with some LC springs - at least if its nasty i can throw on my +2" springs again and be happy..

then i guess my mate with his saggy bum can purchase my +2" from me..

i think I will get the body lift done, fit the 33's and see how its looking - then pop to see Tony and get a diff drop kit fitted - at least i can wind the torsion bars back up (1.5"BJ spacers fitted already)

Thanks for the help guys

Comment

cheap way to do the panhard rod is just to cut it and weld a big bolt into one end and a nut on the other. i turned a nut to half size for a lock nut.
                      remember to cut out the amount of rod the bolt takes up or it'll be too long.

lets you line up the rear end real easy - mine went out of line after lifting it.

you still need a drop bracket to keep the rod as near to parallel with the axle as you can. its also a pretty easy thing to make with some scrap plate and a few bolts.

Comment

Working...
                      X