Surf Doodles On Computer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Surf Doodles On Computer

I'm working away from home now, and given that I've come to realise that I'm probably not actually going to come across my neighbour's wife, despite the website's claims, I've switched to drawing pictures with Microsoft Visio to while away my evenings in the B&Bs - expenses don't stretch to sight-seeing or pints...

I want a boat for fishing and a Surf to pull it with. Then none of the other troubles of life will bother me. I'm certain of it.

Don't knock me for lack of millimetre-perfect engineering accuracy - just doodling.

Mark
    :

That's a pretty good doodle!!

Comment

Couple more...

Weather has me B&B-bound, so more obsessive doodling whiles away the hours...

I'm sure there are purpose-designed CAD programs for engineering designs, but I reckon Visio could be used effectively. The winch bumper (like eveything in the pics) was create from scratch, based on ARB Safari Bars. If I knew how to weld, and understood engineering principles/load-forces etc, I reckon I could make a lovely winch bumper for my own Surf. When it comes along...

Mark
      :

Comment

Visio, eh? Most people I speak to (including Microsoft selling partners) don't even know what it is!

That's some good work but I find Illustrator and Photoshop are easier once you get to grips with them.

Ray.
        I've got a plan and it's as hot as my pants!

Comment

Originally posted by silvtr1000 View Post
          I want a boat for fishing and a Surf to pull it with. Then none of the other troubles of life will bother me. I'm certain of it.
          Keep an eye out on fleabay. I've been kicking myself since I missed out on an EX-MOD inflatable launch with 15hp outboard motor and trailer that went begging in September last year. It was only two or three hundred quid but was (realistically) too far me to travel for it (and I didn't have any money at the time either!!).

Comment

Mark what sort of price are you looking at spending on a boat.
            The guy who owns my workshop is a boat builder and has a couple of boats there 2nd hand or can build new for you to what spec you want
            https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Till I start getting more regular work, or till I win the lotto, my boat will exist only on my laptop.

It seems you can pick up used "sport fishers" (Merry Fisher, Ocqueteau 695, Quicksilver Weekender) for £20,000 or so. Till I can afford a boat to accommodate me & my three kids, with a loo, shelter, and somewhere to sleep off sea-sickness, there's no point in buying anything.

Probably like a few of you guys, when I want what I want, it has to be what I want, or nothing at all - gotta be a Surf, so I'm happy to bide time in my Mazda till a nice Surf comes along.

I only draw on Visio because I used it daily for 5 years in work (process flowcharts, etc), and I got to dicking around with it and found I could do basic drawings with it - I'm by no means a graphics or design guy.

Just need the magic button now to make the pictures come to life...

Mark
              :

Comment

'Tis what I've got-though not an 'Eau like your pic, and it works. Well, at least while I'm out on the boat

It's a bugger having to stop and do the work thing...

Comment

If you want to get really stuck in, and do 3D, Google Sketchup is remarkably powerful, if a little bit of a ball ache to get used to.

Comment

3D studio max, hard to get a grip of but when you do the results are amazing. pity after not going near it for a few years you forget how to work it

Comment

Till I start getting more regular work, or till I win the lotto, my boat will exist only on my laptop.

It seems you can pick up used "sport fishers" (Merry Fisher, Ocqueteau 695, Quicksilver Weekender) for £20,000 or so. Till I can afford a boat to accommodate me & my three kids, with a loo, shelter, and somewhere to sleep off sea-sickness, there's no point in buying anything.

Mark
                      Why not get a Mitchell 21 or similar? Big open cockpit so space is no object - enough space to hunker down with four adults if the weather is grim with or without a cover - sleeps two easily.
                      Pottery diesel engine, but no fuel costs or maintenance to speak of. And who needs to get anywhere quickly when you are fishing?
                      If you are prepared to do a bit of work to smarten it up you can get one for £6 or £7k...

They are proper fishing boats - none of this sports fishing nonsense. Kind of the Surfs of the sea actually...

Comment

Originally posted by flounderbout View Post
                        Pottery diesel engine
                        Sounds fragile.

Comment

I hear you on the Mitchell - Quint would have been proud.

The "Sport Fisher" tag seems to have been adopted by some UK & EU boat manufacturers for some of their boats, that IMO are simply "boats".

A sport fisher to me is like the big American yokes with 22 levels of fly-bridge & tuna-spotting towers.

All just fancy in my mind for now. I see some beautiful (and some not so beautiful boats) every day - where does all this money come from? Let alone buying them, who can run them? And if I had a boat, I'd be out in it every weekend. I see boats that get used maybe 10-20 days a year...

My kids all seem to love the idea of fishing, and I've taken my 10 year-old piking with me, and out on an inshore mackerel/pollock/coalies trip, so he's had a taste of what it's like. He loves it. Always asking when can we go out again.

The boat isn't just for me. I'd dearly love to give my kids access to playing from a boat - fishing, snorkelling, just pottering around. We get plenty of seals, harbour porpoises and the occasional dolphin just off my town (even had a juvenile humpback whale last year), and it'd be great to see them apreciate that world. Leave the Wii behind for a change...

Now, what were we talking about?
                          :

Comment

10-20 days a year is a lot more than most boats get. The vast majority never leave the marina from year to year. If I lived near the coast I'd be out there every free day

Comment

Working...
                            X