3rd gen discs and calipers on a 2nd gen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3rd gen discs and calipers on a 2nd gen

3rd gens have 16" rims to fit over the bigger discs / calipers. Has anyone put 3rd gen brakes onto a 2nd gen with 3rd gen rims?
    Having not seen a 3rd gen how are they different? Is it possible? Is it worth it?

I have a L reg 2nd gen so I have the bigger disc type out of the two, but the pads still confuse me.
    Oh Nana, what's my name?

"Bigger disc type out of the two"??

WTF you on about?

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post

WTF you on about?
      The pre and post facelift 2nd gens have different discs and calipers.
      I've got a plan and it's as hot as my pants!

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post

WTF you on about?
        Theres a earlier front brake setup on the 2nd gens to some. This was where the brake confusion comes in - unless I'm mistaken? I remember last time I changed my pads they didnt wear all the way to the edge because the pads were meant for the earlier 2nd gen and my 2nd gen disc is bigger by 4mm or something like that. I'll try and find the thread...
        Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Originally posted by dieselboy View Post
          Theres a earlier front brake setup on the 2nd gens to some. This was where the brake confusion comes in - unless I'm mistaken? I remember last time I changed my pads they didnt wear all the way to the edge because the pads were meant for the earlier 2nd gen and my 2nd gen disc is bigger by 4mm or something like that. I'll try and find the thread...
          BEAT YA!

The pads are interchangeable. the discs, calipers and other things (clutch, headlights etc.) are different.

Comment

Don't think it would work tony because where your calipers are bolted they are set to accommodate the 15" disc, you would need to re position the calipers to take the 16" disc's which i don't think is possible.
            If its not broke don't fix it.

Comment

Agreed. I know the offset of the calipers is different. There was a thread ion the last year or so about fitting Tundra (maybe Tacoma) brakes to a 3rd gen (even then you had to mill or grind the inside of the 16" wheels to fit).
              There were various "Can I do this my my 2nd Gen?" questions at the time but, alas, I think it was decided that 3rd gen / Tundra fitting onto 2nd gen was not really 'do-able'.

Comment

the whole disc/hub is wildly different between 2nd and 3rd gens, it just won't fit, you may as well machine new discs and caliper mounts from scratch, the amount of effort involved.
                4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Unless it's a tow vehicle I don't see it worth the effort for the gains..the stock brakes on my truck are more than adequate. If it is a tow vehicle, I'd spend your money putting discs on the back.

Comment

Thanks everyone for the advice!!

The reason I was asking is because my Surf has started pulling to the left again. Plus the vibration is back when braking which suggests warped discs again.

Looks like I'll be fitting 2nd gen parts, but to erradicate the issues I'll fit two reconditioned calipers, new discs and I'll try to source EBC yellowstuff pads.

If I get pads to match a UK 4Runner of the same year, they would logically be the correct size / shape? Compared to the wrong shape of that of an older shape 2nd gen.
                    Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Originally posted by dieselboy View Post

If I get pads to match a UK 4Runner of the same year, they would logically be the correct size / shape? Compared to the wrong shape of that of an older shape 2nd gen.
                      Yeah, 4Runner are only 93-95, so early smaller 89-90 Surf pads shouldn't be listed, assuming you get 4Runner discs..
                      4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Thanks Tony! I was planning on using the standard Surf discs for my model, should I get EBC discs too?
                        Also the web sites list 93-96 3.0 TD and 93-97 3.0 separately, do you happen to know why?
                        Last edited by dieselboy; 19 May 2011, 16:40.
                        Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

As we are talking about upgrading the front disks, and the fact that my nearside is warped and mot time is round the corner. What would be the best disks and pads that will go on a 2nd gen.
                          Yes I drive it hard and use the brakes a little to heavy but are the roughtrax ones good enough.
                          Always room for more power!!!!

Comment

Well I bought roughtrax discs and pads and now my vibration is back again. It's not that bad but it seems worse after driving the vehicle for some time.
                            I'm not sure if I didn't bed them in properly as I've been told you're supposed to go lightly on them for so many miles.

I was thinking of getting the yellowstuff (having trouble locating a specific part number though) because they will have more bite and be lighter on brake dust on my wheels. And running standard discs.

I'm interested to know what the general idea is though.
                            Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Yep, Yellow stuff brake pads will cure the vibration problem for sure.

Comment

Working...
                              X