Finally

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finally

Got some time now I'm back on my feet and off the crutches. I can get the surf back on the road and ready for an MOT. I have spent the last two hours fitting new ball joints and some spacers while I'm at it! Two hours in and I only managed one side before the lack of light stopped play!

Hey Ross, did you buy the balljoints from Roughtrax? Did they come with a fitting guide with photos?

Comment

good to hear from you again ross.
      If its not broke don't fix it.

Comment

No I got them from work the last set I had were from roughtrax and they have only lasted a year!!! These ones look much better quality only problem I had is the 4 bolts came fixed to the plate and they were not long enough to fit the spacers! Vice and hammer and problem solved! I then spent about 30 mins trying to lift the top arm to get the spacer in took some time for the penny to drop that I needed to lower the bottom arm!!!

Comment

Originally posted by hiroler View Post
          No I got them from work the last set I had were from roughtrax and they have only lasted a year!!! These ones look much better quality only problem I had is the 4 bolts came fixed to the plate and they were not long enough to fit the spacers! Vice and hammer and problem solved! I then spent about 30 mins trying to lift the top arm to get the spacer in took some time for the penny to drop that I needed to lower the bottom arm!!!

I fitted a set of four to a 4Runner a few weeks ago, Roughtrax ones and the fitting guide included photos of your hubs! They did ask my permission to use the photos from the 'sticky' on here.

When you come to do the other side, jack the wheel off the ground under the lower arm. As soon as the wheel lifts, insert a block of something between the bumpstop on the chassis and upper arm, then lower the jack slowly to the ground.
          Now jack up the front of the truck under the crossmember, then when you remove the shock absorber bolt, the lower arm can droop further as the upper arm is held up by the block on the bumpstop.

Comment

Anhui really could of saved myself about an hour of messing trying to work it out had I just done some Reasearch first!

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
              When you come to do the other side, jack the wheel off the ground under the lower arm. As soon as the wheel lifts, insert a block of something between the bumpstop on the chassis and upper arm, then lower the jack slowly to the ground.
              Now jack up the front of the truck under the crossmember, then when you remove the shock absorber bolt, the lower arm can droop further as the upper arm is held up by the block on the bumpstop.
              Cunning! I used the Surf bottlejack between the upper and lower wishbones and jacked them apart!
              “Do or do not... there is no try.”

Comment

Working...
              X