yobit eobot.com

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Diesel Mechanic...looking for a change of scene?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Diesel Mechanic...looking for a change of scene?

Hi

After a long absence I'm getting back in the saddle...my 4runner is still in Zim and it's still buggered and I need to repair it.

After two years with the lid off I am sure the engine is buggered and so this is my plan: I am going to buy a 1KZ-T jap import engine from SA and get it shipped to Zim. Once there I need to find a good mechanic to remove/replace the engine and anything else that needs to be done to get the vehicle running.

Problem: as I am not there I need to trust the mechanic to do the job properly and, at the moment, all the mechanics I know have buggered off out of the country.

Solution: I am looking for a diesel mechanic here in the UK who can fly out to Zim and do the job either in the next few months or when we go home in August.

I can't pay their flights, transfers etc, but they can live in my safari lodge/home in Zim and they'l have some independent use of my vehicle for safaris etc. That plus all the Zim resident discounts I can wangle...

Serious offers only - this is not an offer of full-time employment but a chance for a working holiday (pulling an engine out and replacing it should take a week) and then we can all field test it by going on safari to Hwange National Park, Vic Falls, Matobo etc.

Please contact me directly so that we can talk through what tools/spares etc you might need. I am serious so please don't start taking the p!ss.

PS: the vehicle has been outdoors for the last two years as you can see in the pic. Also my gardener, Steven, will be there to help.
    Attached Files
    @africa4x4cafe
    [url]www.africa4x4cafe.com[/url]

Bump
    @africa4x4cafe

Comment

Good luck with the offer, you might find other issues with it lying so long, brakes, electrics etc. So perhaps a weeks work is ambitious.
      Alan

yoshie "Didn't know they had a pill for laziness, anyway get well soon."

Comment

I'm gonna stick my neck out here with an opinion..

I was in a similar situation once. I needed a kitchen fitter in the south of France. Now as nice as the s of f is, and I don't doubt zim is to, it is a big ask to expect someone to take a bit of a flyer and pay to get there, do the job and just get accommodation for free.

Now travel to zim is not cheap (s of f was cheap) and I sorted my problem by offering free flights and a bit of cash. This was still cheaper than getting a work shy local who charged the earth and did a rubbish job.

Maybe a bit of holiday money would get someone interested?

Kev
        .... Which was nice.

Comment

Thanks - that's the sort of input I am looking for...obviously you think I am not being realistic...so is it just a case of getting out there and then fixing it up problem by problem? Bugger! I'd better sit down and start making a list of every problem that might occur and start saving money to buy spares etc...
          @africa4x4cafe

Comment

You posted as I did... You may not like what I said either...
            .... Which was nice.

Comment

Thanks Kev - I'll sit down and think about what I'm offering more seriously...
              @africa4x4cafe

Comment

I think we should all go over for a tech week then off roading for a week
                “Do or do not... there is no try.”

Comment

Jeez man, I never thought I'd have to bribe people to take up my offer...young folk today...

When I was a lad (cue the Hovis theme) I'd jump at any chance for adventure: met a guy in a pub on Sat night - ended up crewing his yacht for the next 2 months in the Baltic Sea - had to pay my share of the kitty, take the dog watches and my return flight of course but I just took a chance.

Same thing in Zim, went out on expedition for 3 months, ended up flogging the return half of my ticket and staying on for 7 years! If I was a half decent diesel mech I'd chance my arm and see what Africa is all about.

Maybe this is the wrong forum...all us married working joes just plugging on...
                  @africa4x4cafe

Comment

Originally posted by bundubasher View Post
                    Maybe this is the wrong forum...all us married working joes just plugging on...
                    That's my problem (Married with kids!)
                    “Do or do not... there is no try.”

Comment

To be honest if I was in your position I'd be looking for a decent running truck to make my own and use/sell any bits off the current non-runner to help finance it. Sell whats left for scrap.
                      Alan

yoshie "Didn't know they had a pill for laziness, anyway get well soon."

Comment

Looked at that option but have nowhere to store the carcass, finally settled on buying a Jap import in JHB.

Thanks anyway
                        @africa4x4cafe

Comment

Enzo have ya not thought about getting in touch with the S/A Surf guys n putting it on their forum n put it to them ?
                          Good Luck
                          Buncefield Burner

Comment

A Surf engine will be big hassles to directly transplant, as will probably be auto, and will be EFI, so all wiring looms in engine and behind dash will probably have to be swapped as well.

It's not impossible, but not 'just' an engine swap.

If you fuel pump is ok, then the easiest option is to bin all the the EFI stuff, refit your manual fuel pump and injectors, but this relies on the fuel system still being ok.

I'd love to do it, but it won't pay the mortgage, so, I'm out....

Originally posted by bundubasher View Post
                            Looked at that option but have nowhere to store the carcass, finally settled on buying a Jap import in JHB.

Thanks anyway
                            Do you need to store the old truck? can't you just bin it? Surfs are so cheap there days, I'd just buy a working new one, swap the number plates round, paint it zebra stripes and swap all the accessoris over and weigh in the old shell.
                            4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

The logistics of getting it fixed and the unknowns of what parts may be needed, and then getting them to Africa, seem too much hassle.

You'd be better off buying one (a complete working truck) over here and getting it shipped or coming here yourself and driving it back.
                              Surf if you got a wave. Wave if you got a Surf.™

Comment

Working...
                              X