Nervous as a schoolgirl!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nervous as a schoolgirl!

I got my Cat C driving test tomorrow and I cannot believe how ###### nervous I am!

Granted, it is through the Army and is slightly easier but this sorta makes it worse!

I been driving about 20 years and still feel as if I'm a newbie!

Any words of wisdom from the HGV boys on here?

Gary

Hi Gary. I don't drive LGV, but as a fully qualified DSA ADI (car), the best advice that I can give to you, is to avoid this sor t of thing......... Kierowca tira z Rumuni - Romanian truck driver ...
    3 min - 7 Mar 2009
    Uploaded by madmix1991
    youtube.com......Cheers, and good luck....Mick.
    " Time wounds all heels ".

Comment

Wear a short skirt, have your boobs out a bit & hint that if he passes you it will be worth his while.

EDIT: ahhhhhh, might not work for you mate, good luck though.
      Last edited by si tate; 10 May 2011, 14:38.
      If its not broke don't fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by si tate View Post
        Wear a short skirt, have your boobs out a bit & hint that if he passes you it will be worth his while.
        I think that only works if you're in the Navy
        “Do or do not... there is no try.”

Comment

Smoke a huge joint 20 mins beforehand.

Sent from the iPad you "lost"

Comment

i did mine through the army, at that lovely place leconsfield.

fairly easy, just make sure you check mirrors alot for bikes etc and give yourself plenty of room to turn etc. good luck with it.
            My Surf eats knuckles for breakfast!

Comment

Hi Gary. I did my lgv2 last december.

Just remember to have the lorry positioned right for the reversing exercise.
              Also you have a max of 2 shunts through the complete reversing excerise.
              Remeber to keep using the mirrors while reversing.I was told that you need to use both mirrors at least 10 times each while reversing.
              When yo start reversing make sure the window is open so you can put your head out the window to check the n/s/f tyre on the boundary line.As soon as you start to move get the lock on as quick as poss and then you will manage to get through the cones easy.
              When it comes to doing the safe stop you need to be doing 20mph and stop while in control.
              While out on the road just make sure you keep out while turning and keep using the mirrors
              I dropped 4 points on my test 2nd time round.
              Make sure you know the lorry for the verbal questions and you know what's what with the lorry.
              The examiner won't talk to you apart from giving instructions but i actually started a conversation with the examiner and he was ok about it while driving as i showed i was still keeping in control and everything.
              Once you get out the depot you'll be fine but remember if you kerb it then it's an instant fail
              Last edited by stormforce; 10 May 2011, 19:23.
              https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

I know how you feel, I had mine two weeks ago! I was sh!tting myself but I passed first time with only 4 minors. Waiting for the CPC now, got it booked for next week.

My best advice would be to take everything slow and play it cool. Give yourself time to get the right gears etc before you get to a roundabout. And as above, plenty of mirrors and keep that rear left wheel 6 inches from the kerb.

And try not to get all nervous about the examiner, mine was a nice guy!

Best of luck, let us konw how it goes!
                Andy

Comment

Goodluck Gary

Hi Gary, I have a HGV1 (cat C+E) that I took over 20 years ago. Only part of the test I remember was the examiner telling me that I had passed first time I paid for the course and test privately (no military history). It was great for the first few years, but the novelty has worn off for me (I am semi-retired) and not much work about down here at the moment, agency's are pants. As I am over 45 I have to have a medical every five years (more money), plus with this drivers C.P.C. coming in soon (even more money), am not sure whether to bother renewing next time around when I reach 50. Anyway don't get too worried about the test, it must be easier than the arctic driving test, also doing it through the military is a big advantage judging bye the TV program "military driving school" just started on ITV1.
                  Anyway best of luck mate & let us know how it goes
                  Stew.........

Comment

good luck etc hope it all goes well sure it will

but just wondering if any one has a rough idea what it costs to do it yourself
                    i can drive em spent years shunting trucks in yards in and out of workshops and the occational sneaky test drive but just wondering what it costs nowadays

my dad drives tankers but he is about to retire from after doing it all his life
                    to the point he passed his test in a truck and then got done for driving a car just after cos his licence did not cover him for a car

Comment

Originally posted by oops motorsport View Post
                      good luck etc hope it all goes well sure it will

but just wondering if any one has a rough idea what it costs to do it yourself
                      i can drive em spent years shunting trucks in yards in and out of workshops and the occational sneaky test drive but just wondering what it costs nowadays

my dad drives tankers but he is about to retire from after doing it all his life
                      to the point he passed his test in a truck and then got done for driving a car just after cos his licence did not cover him for a car
                      if i remember rightly i think you can do the lgv2 for about £1500 but you can do a google search to find out for sure though
                      heres one price list
                      http://www.elgv.com/pricelist.asp
                      Last edited by stormforce; 10 May 2011, 22:13.

Comment

superb ta for that best start saving

Comment

Do a google search for SRTS.I did mine through these and they were great.I have also done 14hrs of my cpc with these and i will do my other 24hrs with them aswell.Steve Robertson has training centres all over the country and the instructors are great

Comment

I did mine last year, its really only being confident. I was nervous, and got a point for being a little hard on the emergency stop and actually stopping to quick (but still didn't lock it up!), but once you stop worrying and just do it, its not so bad.

I enjoyed the ride in the end, and the tester was a really chatty bloke and took the pressure off.

The funniest bit was on the way back from the test the intructor said "now you know how to drive to pass the test, now I'll show you how need to drive to earn a living...."
                            4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

re

I PASSED!

(with only 13 minors, lol)

Nevertheless, a pass is a pass!

Chuffed to bits!

Cat C+E next!

Thanks for the words of wisdom and encouragement chaps!

Gary

Comment

Working...
                              X