Ask a stupid question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ask a stupid question.

I'm sure this is a really silly question but can anyone tell me.... does the back window wind down on a 3rd gen?

I've always assumed that as they are a lift up tailgate they would not but I've just seen an advert on e bay for one where the owner says the window doesn't go down due to a dent in the body work.

Cannot see a reason for it to wind down but, to be fair, I do like driving around with mine down so perhaps it was a good selling point when new.

The tailgate window should go down
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Originally posted by stormforce View Post
      The tailgate window should go down
      but it doesn't go down due to a dent in the body work.

ask a silly question get a silly answer!
      “Do or do not... there is no try.”

Comment

I just wondered if they did go down as I couldn't think of a reason why it needed to like it does on the gen 2.

While on the subject do the gen3s have the same issues with winding mechanisms? Are they the same unit?

Comment

Originally posted by Ambobeer View Post
          I just wondered if they did go down as I couldn't think of a reason why it needed to like it does on the gen 2.

While on the subject do the gen3s have the same issues with winding mechanisms? Are they the same unit?
          It's the water ingress that causes the problems with second gen rear windows. Essentially there is nothing wrong with the regulator or motor, it's the tailgate design that it flawed.

Comment

I'd say its more to do with older trucks windows being used so often. compared to 3rd gens, as you don't need to lower the window to open the back.

they are different mechs as well, even the motor is redesigned slightly.
            4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

I use my rear window extensivly as its easier to get my kit out rather than release the spare wheel move it to one side then open the rear door, ninety nine times out of a hundred I use the key in the rear lock rather than the dash switch.No problems so far. Now thats tempted fate!!!

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN View Post
                I'd say its more to do with older trucks windows being used so often. compared to 3rd gens, as you don't need to lower the window to open the back.

they are different mechs as well, even the motor is redesigned slightly.
                It's the same motor in the doors, door windows are up and down far more then the tailgate. They fail because of the water making the regulator and or motor corrode and stick, then the weak link the motor itself either breaks the rubber inside or the plastic screw strips. When they're in good condition they work fine.

Comment

Originally posted by soramad View Post
                  I use my rear window extensivly as its easier to get my kit out rather than release the spare wheel move it to one side then open the rear door, ninety nine times out of a hundred I use the key in the rear lock rather than the dash switch.No problems so far. Now thats tempted fate!!!

Tell me more about this dash switch as I don't appear to have one ...

Life is too important to take seriously !

Comment

I reckon it's on the dash Bob...
                    Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

Right hand side of the steering wheel, by the fog light switch, key in the back door too but mine seems to have a few seconds delay between turning it and the window coming down

Comment

My switch is behind the gear lever.
                        .... Which was nice.

Comment

WTF was I doing at 07:00 ???

I KNOW where the rear window switch is cos I use it every time we hitch the van up ...

NURSE - BRING ME MY COAT THAT DOES UP DOWN THE BACK !!!

Life is too important to take seriously !

Comment

Originally posted by Rally Micra View Post
                            My switch is behind the gear lever.
                            You have a second generation... yeah?

Comment

Working...
                            X