4 wheel drive question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4 wheel drive question

I ran the car in 4 wheel drive high ratio for a few hundred yards and as I turned into the drive at home with not quite a full lock and the car stopped as if someone had braked. I wasnt driving around with the handbrake on but it feels like it when you put reasonable amounts of turn on the steering.
    Its fine when you go back to 2 wheel drive.
    Any one have any ideas, hope its not serious.
    Neil

i presume your surf is a 2nd gen surf 4wd is for offroad & loose surfaces not tarmac you get diff windup on tarmac etc & you can cause damage. also on tarmac in a straight line with no harsh turning both of your wheels are turning at the same speed & your axle is locked so one set of wheels are turning the others are stationary causing it to lock up
    Last edited by marky; 23 July 2004, 13:17.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
    (")_(")

Comment

On a 2nd gen driving in 4wd is only for offroad use you can drive on tarmac in 4wd but only in a straight line. Contrary to belief although audi quattros where permanent 4wd if you locked the diffs you could only go straight line due to diffs winding up whilst cornering. Lots of early 4x4s were built this way the addition of a centre diff stops this from happening.

Comment

Thanks for quick reply

Thanks for your reply, I was beginning to panick. So if I do this on grass or gravel it should be fine? I hope I didnt do any damage, I only drove 3 to 4 hundred yards. I need to remember it is a 14 year old vehicle and things change alot in 14 yrs. This is my first 4x4 and learn something new every day.
        I am really impressed with this web site and cant keep off now that I have registered.
        Neil

Comment

Originally posted by Leodis
          On a 2nd gen driving in 4wd is only for offroad use you can drive on tarmac in 4wd but only in a straight line. Contrary to belief although audi quattros where permanent 4wd if you locked the diffs you could only go straight line due to diffs winding up whilst cornering. Lots of early 4x4s were built this way the addition of a centre diff stops this from happening.
          you can get wind up in a straight line too.. if your tyres are un evenly worn front-back
          nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Same problem

I had exactly the same problem.Now that all my drive train oils have been changed,and all the drive train greasing has been done,I have no problems anymore.Toyota did it and said they had never seen oil like it !

Comment

Originally posted by surfin
              I had exactly the same problem.Now that all my drive train oils have been changed,and all the drive train greasing has been done,I have no problems anymore.Toyota did it and said they had never seen oil like it !
              yeah, but you still can't use 4wd on tarmac!.
              nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Originally posted by Foxhill
                So if I do this on grass or gravel it should be fine?
                My CVs are bad and 4wheeling on dry grass at this time of the year is the same as on tarmac coz they click like mad at the slightest turn of the steering wheel.

Comment

2x2 or 4x4

I,m no mechanic,but greasing and oil changes worked for me.There was a terrible crunching noise from my offside rear when in 4x4,like bearings breaking down,and on tarmac when reversing everything crunched,though it was ok going forward.I dont have any probs at all now - tarmac or not !I have gone 4x4 alot of grass with the van,wet and dry,no probs.!
                  Surfin
                  :-)

Comment

you'd better check your 4wd still works after your oils were changed as the 2nd gen WILL wind up on tarmac with 4wd selected new oil or not, the effect of transmission wind is exactly how foxhill described, damage can occur but usually the wound up wheel will skid, but if you have a surface with high grip or decent grippy road tyres, then the transmission can go bang. to unwind a wound up transmission, put back in 2wd and reverse, drive forward, reverse, drive forward etc until your light goes out.
                    [COLOR=red]Simon [/COLOR] '91 2.4td ssr-x

Comment

In spite of...

In spite of my oil changes everything is working fine.Thanks for your concern.

Comment

Would it be correct to say there's no centre diff on a Jan 1990 gen2? Just front & rear?

Mark
                        :

Comment

Originally posted by silvtr1000
                          Would it be correct to say there's no centre diff on a Jan 1990 gen2? Just front & rear?

Mark
                          100% Correct
                          Maurice
                          Hilux Surf FAQ at www.hiluxsurf.eu

Comment

Working...
                          X