mp3 (or 4) advise?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mp3 (or 4) advise?

As i'm not far from getting the sterio wired i'm wondering about something to load cd's on, i did think about getting another multi-changer (theres some decent cheap one on ebay) problems with those is there bulky, and limited to 10 cd's at most, am i right in thinking you can get quite a few cd's (music downloads) on these mp3's (also seen mp4's)? the sterio has a "usb" lead so do you just plug your mp3 in that and then you can play the stuff stored on it? whats the difference between the 3 and 4 (5?) is it just the latest model or summat?
    as you can tell i know nothing about em, just seen a pink one for a fiver on ebay, apart from the color any good?
    Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Hi Popeye, to give you an idea the iPod classic has a 160gb storage (very large for an MP3 player) and can hold about 40,000 songs.
    I have an iPod nano (16gb) and have about 2000 songs on it with space to spare (I've used just over half)

MP3 is music MP4 is video

What stereo have you bought?
    “Do or do not... there is no try.”

Comment

Can you play direct off a USB Memory stick? Then you wouldn't need an Ipod, and could have a stick or 7 to suit your mood..
      it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

Cheer's it's the Blaupunkt cassablanca head unit i got from Madmanc, it has a usb lead with it, thanks for clarifing the 3 & 4 think i certainly wouldn't need a large capacity thing, the one you have (16gb) would be more than enough,
        Charlie, is that what you do, the memory sticks? that sounds like a better option, heavy stuff on one, olduns on another etc, does the stick plug into the end of the lead (it's got a small plug that goes in the back of the head unit and a larger one on the other end) i have a similar thing for the slide show photo frame we got as a present, load piccys on then plug it into the frame etc, i plug that straight into the pc port tho,

Comment

just a heads up, your head unit might have a usb port but not all head units will see an ipod as a storage device... you'll have to check its ipod / iphone compatible or else just pick up cheap 2GB usb sticks....

Comment

Originally posted by POPEYE View Post
            Cheer's it's the Blaupunkt cassablanca head unit i got from Madmanc, it has a usb lead with it, thanks for clarifing the 3 & 4 think i certainly wouldn't need a large capacity thing, the one you have (16gb) would be more than enough,
            Charlie, is that what you do, the memory sticks? that sounds like a better option, heavy stuff on one, olduns on another etc, does the stick plug into the end of the lead (it's got a small plug that goes in the back of the head unit and a larger one on the other end) i have a similar thing for the slide show photo frame we got as a present, load piccys on then plug it into the frame etc, i plug that straight into the pc port tho,
            I don't cos I didn't know about it till after I had the Ipod.. It's what the lodger does in his volvo, and it does work on my Clarion jobby. Stick a choon on a stick and see what happens..
            it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

Originally posted by Chillitt View Post
              I don't cos I didn't know about it till after I had the Ipod.. It's what the lodger does in his volvo, and it does work on my Clarion jobby. Stick a choon on a stick and see what happens..
              will do mate, cheer's didn't really fancy another bl00dy multi changer, and a sticks cheaper than a i pod i suppose

Cheer's Bob, to be honest i dont know what the head unit will do, although i downloaded 90 odd pages of what it can do so it certainly looks all singing all dancing

Comment

MP3 is the digital equivalent of the compact cassette, pretty awful sounding if you have good ears. A/B with a 44k1CD over a good system & you'll see what I mean. MP3 sounds really harsh - all down to the perceptual encoding used to squeeze all of the audio data into such a small storage space. When 'tuning' a big pa rig with music I wouldn't use MP3, it sounds crap!

Comment

Originally posted by DaveHMS View Post
                  MP3 is the digital equivalent of the compact cassette, pretty awful sounding if you have good ears. A/B with a 44k1CD over a good system & you'll see what I mean. MP3 sounds really harsh - all down to the perceptual encoding used to squeeze all of the audio data into such a small storage space. When 'tuning' a big pa rig with music I wouldn't use MP3, it sounds crap!
                  well thats got me scratching my bonce yet again!!! so whats the best method of haveing a decent supply of verious music in the truck, other than several multi-changers or a bag full of cd's?

Comment

well thats got me scratching my bonce yet again!!! so whats the best method of haveing a decent supply of verious music in the truck, other than several multi-changers or a bag full of cd's?
                    But you aren't doing a big PA rig....
                    it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

MP3 mate. Unless you're one of these people who listens for every little musical nuance then mp3s are more than good enough for a mid to good range car stereo system.
                      'Tis better to sting than to be stung!

Comment

Ian, as Charlie says youre not building a PA rig. When you play music in a vehicle, you are generally not after a Hi-Fi experience. For that you go to a quiet room ( preferably with good accoustics) and with some expensive equipment. All I ( and most others)want is to hear a few "choons" of my choice rather than whatever some bloke on the radio is playing and for that, MP3 on a stick or MP3 through an IPOD is fine and dandy. Unless of course you simply want thumping bass and lots of noise so that all other road users know that your car has a cool wireless.Lets face it if you can hear half of it over the noise of your MTs and all the other traffic/travel noises, youll be happy. If you plug a stick into the " big " end of your bit of wire and get the music on it to play it will be just dandy. 4GB sticks are cheap and will hold a lot of music. 2GB sticks are even cheaper and they carry a fair few tunes too. You could have a slack handful of 2GB sticks, with different genres on each. You know, one for Wurzels, one for Rolf Harris, one for Jimmy Shand, another for Shirley Bassey and so on.
                        Last edited by Bogus; 1 May 2011, 20:43. Reason: FORGOT Shirley Bassey
                        Сви можемо

Comment

You forgot shirley bassey.
                          Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by gwh200 View Post
                            You forgot shirley bassey.
                            Is he the one who sang

"I would walk 500 miles and I would walk 500 more" in that funny accent?
                            Sent from the iPad you "lost"

Comment

And one for Daniel O'Donnell!! mustn't forget him
                              Sticks it is then, i just thought Dave ment it'd sound all crackely etc, but your right no point haveing a ultra good sound in a tractor, and i'm not that "discerning" an certainly not a show off, hate that "boom boom" monkey music $hit, get enough of that from the lads across the road, i like my heavy metal, old rock, some classical, stuff in the genre of "crouded house"(?spelling) and of course Kevin Bl00dy Wilson

mayby a pinch of rockafeller skank or skunk anansi
                              Last edited by POPEYE; 2 May 2011, 07:55.

Comment

Working...
                              X