See this smile?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• See this smile?

Just spent four fantastic days terrorising smaller vehicle users around the Lake district.

It was my surfs first proper run and it all went swimmingly. (well 90%)

Cruised motorways at 65MPH, struggled on some of the steeper hills, but still returned an almighty (I think) 25MPG

The bad part. At 45 MPH I thought it was going to fall apart, then at 50 it all settled down. How it got through an MOT I'll never know. (from posts on this here forum I have diagnosed idler arm problems)

Took it back to garage today and the guy said "Right, Ill book it in now" and he did. It goes in (again) next tuesday to get whatever it needs to be put right.

Other than that
    I LOVE IT!!!!
    Charlie Don't Surf..http://static.photobox.co.uk/public/...10805138.s.jpg

My baby faild the MOT on a worn idler arm.
    With the new on on the steering feels more responsive.
    I should have realised something was wrong with the tyre wear and the slight wandering of the steering wheel but put it down to tracking and not being used to handling a 4x4. Can't say as I heard any loud noises though??

Ah well... we all have to learn.
    Ian
    One day my paranoia will go away!

Comment

Originally posted by Alun
      Cruised motorways at 65MPH

Is that all? Mine cruises very quietly at 90! Although getting on in years as I am, I don't take her much above 80 these days.

Comment

if it judders at a certain speed but you can "drive through it" and it all settles down again, you can be 90% sure it is the wheel balance. One of the first things I did when I got my surf 3 weeks ago was get the wheel balances checked. The tyre man was astounded at how far out they were. I was getting the "shakes" at 60 before but all is smooth as you like now.
        [SIZE=2][COLOR=White]You can't have everything. Where would you put it?[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Comment

Originally posted by Bryan
          Is that all? Mine cruises very quietly at 90! Although getting on in years as I am, I don't take her much above 80 these days.
          65-70 about right for my 2.4 with the mud tyres on otherwise on long uphill drags the temp guage moves.But sh1t man 80-90 is that uphill and down........wow thats some decent and acent caperbility....

sumo...(ready to go play cos its the weekend)
          If the puddles to deep..LEARN TO SCUBA.

Comment

mine does 90 no probs
            (\__/)
            (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
            (")_(")

Comment

Had mine up to 85, wouldnt like to sit there all day though. 65 was a nice cruising speed.

Pretty sure it wasnt wheel balance as I switched around front to rear and same problem!!

I am now looking for a nice source of vegoil!!

Comment

Had mine up to 85, wouldnt like to sit there all day though. 65 was a nice cruising speed.

Pretty sure it wasnt wheel balance as I switched around front to rear and same problem!!

Well all four of my wheels were wildly out of balance so it is probably worth getting them checked, a balance is only about a fiver per wheel.
                [SIZE=2][COLOR=White]You can't have everything. Where would you put it?[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Comment

Just got back from a trip up north, a journey of about 200miles one way. I sat at around 120-130kmh all the way. It seemed fine, i reckon it could do 140........just ! Did 415 k's on almost a full tank. I stopped fillin her up at £42.00.
                  As for hills around town/country i usually turn off the o/d and accel up them no probs.

Comment

Make sure wheels were balanced using the adaptor required for these wheels..normal balancing machine doesn't work properly. I was looking up similar prob last week. I don't know how to attach link to thread but do a search on 'vibration' .....ooooer....
                    Had enough... going to live in Spain....

Comment

Originally posted by Helen
                      Make sure wheels were balanced using the adaptor required for these wheels..normal balancing machine doesn't work properly. I was looking up similar prob last week. I don't know how to attach link to thread but do a search on 'vibration' .....ooooer....
                      Helens right, one garage had 2 attempts at mine and he was sure they were ok each time, but no they weren't. Found a place to balance them on a hub, (think it's Hub Centric) after which it was perfect.
                      Pete

Comment

Well it goes in first thing tuesday morning to get sorted. There is a LOT of side-to-side play in the n/s wheel when its jacked up.

Pumped the tyres up to 33psi (as recommended by you chaps) and it made a small difference.

Will get the wheel balancing done after I get it back again.

Comment

Working...
                        X