Wheels & Tyres for the road

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wheels & Tyres for the road

I've already made a 'Wanted' thread, but I thought I'd ask for some further advice.
    I have a 3rd gen with 16" wheels running snow and mud tyres.

The problem is that I'm going to be doing a lot of summer driving over the next few months, so I'm thinking about getting some new wheels and tyres for smoother motorway driving.

Is it a good plan to get another set of OEM 16" wheels with some road tyres, or might I find it better with smaller or bigger wheels?

While I'm asking, is there an agreed good choice of motorway tyre for the surf?
    Or should I just look for any decent brand that's on sale.

Many Thanks.

I think you'll find that 15" wheels won't fit on a third Gen.

This lot do a good price on new steelies.

http://www.silverlinewheels-tyres.co...heels/1606.htm
    Last edited by slobodan; 25 April 2011, 13:08.
    Sent from the iPad you "lost"

Comment

Simple answer, fit BF Goodrich AT's if you have plenty of money, or fit General Grabber AT2's as the next best option. Both tyres are excellent and perform equally well on and off road. As Slobodan says 3rd gens normally have 16" wheels fitted as standard so dropping to 15" isn't a real option.
      'Tis better to sting than to be stung!

Comment

Thanks for the replies.
        I've looked into the General Grabber AT2s and while they seem to be excellent all rounders I'm not sure they are exactly what I need.

In the winter I tend to head for colder climates, so I fit dedicated winter tyres.

For the summer I'm looking for a proper road tyre that won't give any vibration or rumble – so I'm not sure All Terrain tyres are exactly what I'm after.

Does anyone have any other suggestion for dedicated road tyres?
        The closest they will come to off road is driving over the grass to park in a village fete.

Comment

I used to have BFG Long Trails, which were excellent (in my opinion). They are not as nobbly as the ATs so not quite up to the standard required by the medallion men, but they grip a lot better on the road and still have the all-important white writing on the side.
          Last edited by Sancho; 26 April 2011, 17:23.

Comment

Got These on my 3rd. No probs with noise. Seem decent enough

Comment

I put BFG A/T's on most of my 4x4's they always knock 4 or 5 mpg off over road tyres, I am currently trying Khumo KL71's on my Vitara as they are supposed to be very good on the road for M/Ts (which they do seem to be so far) they have also knocked off similar MPG although i have only been running them a couple of months.

I would say if you dont need off road tyres and dont care about the looks have a set of road tyres to use, i did 500 miles in my Vit a few weeks ago and it used over 100 quids worth of juice! its a petrol Efi 16v 1.6, its worse on juice now than our auto 3 litre diesel surf on road tyres on the motorway!

Comment

I looked in to some General Grabber AT2s recently and were told they no longer make them.

Comment

I have used general uhp's for the last two years and found them to be great on motorways and performed well in the snow too!last I checked they were 89 quid on r/trax site.

Comment

BFG AT's are probably the best all rounder without a shadow of a doubt. Excellent wear rate, great on or off road and will do for summer or winter! Personally, I would never use anything else

Cheers, Nick
                    "The force will be with you, always!"

Comment

Working...
                    X