MAC amp audio pinout

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MAC amp audio pinout

I've managed to desolder the audio jacks sockets from the board, (as one metal earth outer bit was missing when i got it) cut away some of the socket plastic to see what touched where and so i can replace the sockets with one four jack unit i just ordered from ebay, the missing bit would have knocked out the "line input left" as they aint on a common earth, nearly bid on a 4 channel MAC 4000 but it was listed as faulty, went for a tenner plus a tenner post,
    Attached Files
    Last edited by POPEYE; 22 April 2011, 20:54.
    Too young to die and too old to give a toss

You sure there isn't a common earth ? (did you test it? )

Reason I ask is there's a left and right input but only one 'input earth' in your pic.

Whats the back of the pcb look like ?

Rob.

edit: just checked a phoenix gold amp and a rockford fosgate amp and they both have continuity between the earth points. Checked a sony as well and that didn't... Sorry Ian I assumed most car amps were built to the same 'basic recipe'
    Last edited by wishbone; 22 April 2011, 22:50.

Comment

I really cant imagine why they'd split the input earths, unless they are starring them somewhere, but that seems a bit esoteric for car gear.

As per Wishbone, a pic of the business side of the board would help, but to try it I'd just go ahead and common the earths at the input.
      Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Dont know about the board but i'm guessing the "dual" earth pins are just for "ease and cheapness" of manufacture of the socket componant, i cut away some plactic to check which pin(s) actually came in contact with the earth socket metal outer bits and then removed one of them to see how they fitted in, each has a pair of locating tabs one of which (lower) comes into contact with the earth (marked) i assumed that each plug in jack needs it's outer earth to contact each earth in the socket, as ones missing it wouldn't make contact so also assumed that would knock out that particular jack, the outer parts are quite easy to replace and also missing is a small plastic ring that guides and stops contact between the jack center pin and earth, when the new ones arrive i'll decide wether to rob a part from one of the sockets or run leads from the pcb to the new sockets and use them,
        the pic of the board is wrong, i read it upside down altered the text on my pic (files) and will add it in place of the one there

sorry for the old duffer camera shake there
        Attached Files
        Last edited by POPEYE; 23 April 2011, 07:55.

Comment

Ian, chances are the earths are commoned somewhere along the line, such as inside the kit you're feeding it with, so it would be unlikely to cause issues however you choose to address it.
          Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Originally posted by Apache View Post
            Ian, chances are the earths are commoned somewhere along the line, such as inside the kit you're feeding it with, so it would be unlikely to cause issues however you choose to address it.
            Aye probably mate, anyway i'll see what the ones i ordered are like, if i can canabilise a part from them i'll do that and just resolder the thing back on, if not i'll use the new ones, cheer's

Comment

Working...
            X