yobit eobot.com

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who said running on veg oil mix was ok????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who said running on veg oil mix was ok????

so I've read up and looked about, saw loads of posts about running on veg oil and that its no bother.. should be fine blah blah

so off I trot to tesco about a month ago and pick up a load of veg oil..

as most mentioned its best on a 50/50 mix, so i stayed around there, most of the time it was 15 ltrs veg oil in followed by 25 ltrs - seemed to be running really well..

anyway, got through about 45 ltrs, did my last stock pile the other day and topped up again with diesel, parked up at work and noticed a drip underneath..

seemed to have no smell, but felt a little oily..

that night had a look underneath and couldn't see any tell tale signs of a visible spot, was just very damp, so looked under the bonnet and everything in immediate veiw seemed dry...

so anyway, left parked up for a couple of days to dry out underneath and tonight after work, crawled under with my little torch and tried to see anything

had read up a couple of posts about possible fuel pump leaks and also possible steering pump leaks so was watching them areas, whilst under got the missus to fire her up whilst i was looking, eventually a little drip started, from my angle and position it looked like it was coming from the fuel pump and dripping off at the back where the fuel lines bolt up

so any ideas please gents

am i looking at a complete pump overhaul or do you think it could be something trivial?

i guess no one will truly know until its taken apart, so any help/advice or tips would be greatly

is it a simplistic job to get to/refurb - or should i dropping the truck off with someone like Tony

i'm keen to try myself if at all possible, so any pointers would be greatly received

thanks in advance

steve

you can get a seal repair kit.The normal seals to go are ones tat can be done with the pump in situ
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Originally posted by stormforce View Post
      you can get a seal repair kit.The normal seals to go are ones tat can be done with the pump in situ
      was looking at them on roughtrax, not a bad price..

is it fairly straightforward - unless i'm blind i cant see a how too - been looking for 2 days!!

Comment

i've not done them but others have done them easy enough though
        https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Have you just started using your aircon?
          it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

Originally posted by Chillitt View Post
            Have you just started using your aircon?
            i tried it out for the first time the other day, but the drip was there before this i think

why, what could that mean?

Comment

Originally posted by lawsy View Post
              i tried it out for the first time the other day, but the drip was there before this i think

Could mean the weather's getting better!
              www.amcbs.webeden.co.uk www.xjrestorations.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by lawsy View Post

theres an overflow pipe to let the condesation out on the bulkhead just back from the pump, it could be that and not the pump leaking.. Maybe.
                it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

Originally posted by Chillitt View Post
                  theres an overflow pipe to let the condesation out on the bulkhead just back from the pump, it could be that and not the pump leaking.. Maybe.
                  would the condesation not be just water then?

Comment

deja vu. My fuel pump started to leak after 7 days of mixing in veg oil.
                    Garage want to take out pump to recondition it at great expense. I was going to buy the repair kit from roughtrax as diesel appears to be coming from the top of the pump. Even managed to get as far as the fuel pump but could not get the top 4 screws of the unit! Being mechanicly clueless I've gave up at this point and it's now garaged pending funds

or suggestions on how to remove the 4 screws. The're stuck solid, would releasing fluid work?
                    Last edited by Black Sheep; 19 April 2011, 22:15.

Comment

no leaks here from up to 90% veg... varied depending on weather, from 10-20% at minus temps up to nearly all veg when overnight temps creep up.

suppose a dodgy seal might be exasperated, but I think you have to assume it would have gone "at some stage" soon in any case...
                      "B.A." Baracus: "Talk to me, talk sense so I can talk back. Not all this jibberjabber like breaking the peace and all that."
                      www.johnthebuilder.info

Comment

Originally posted by Wolfracer View Post
                        no leaks here from up to 90% veg... varied depending on weather, from 10-20% at minus temps up to nearly all veg when overnight temps creep up.

suppose a dodgy seal might be exasperated, but I think you have to assume it would have gone "at some stage" soon in any case...
                        OOOPS!
                        Started her up this morning and let it idle in the cul de sac, got to work to find a trail of oil/fluid marking my passage...

it only drips out when the engine is running, so assuming it is a pressurised/engine related fluid. its not red, nor does it smell like dexron 2 so that leaves engine oil, ( not black enough) and fuel.... I'm assuming the the 70/30 mix in the tank at the mo is slowly emigrating onto the highway....

Now the weird bit.

I got home to find a nice sticky puddle on the cul de sac, so sanded that up and then let the surf idle on the spot.

Not a DROP!

I've always had a small "oil leak" but never a flood, but for some reason it has stopped....

I've got oil (still on full), PS fluid, ATF, Brake, and Coolant, so it must be the fuel, but can't see the leak as I assume it's under that block with Denso printed on it?

any pointers out there would be appreciated...
                        "B.A." Baracus: "Talk to me, talk sense so I can talk back. Not all this jibberjabber like breaking the peace and all that."
                        www.johnthebuilder.info

Comment

What does the oil smell like?

Could it be diff oil or transfer box oil?
                          “Do or do not... there is no try.”

Comment

Originally posted by puddlesurfer View Post
                            What does the oil smell like?

Could it be diff oil or transfer box oil?
                            Don't think so, its dripping off the bash plate cross member just to the right of the engine block as you look at it from the front.

It doesn't smell strong and is "relatively" clear, after having dripped down the other oily bits, so assuming its veggie and a little derv...
                            Doesn't have any "nasty niffs" such as the PS fluid...
                            www.johnthebuilder.info

Comment

Hi all,

I don't run veg at all, but my pump leaked a lot fuel
                              a couple of years ago, so I put 2 litres of ATF in
                              the tank, and it stopped it leaking after a couple of
                              days. But last year I had to have it resealed at my local
                              garage. (pump off job not cheap). It might work with
                              veggie, allways worth a try,

Gman.
                              If it aint broke, keep goin' till it is.

Comment

Working...
                              X