Land Cruiser history

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Land Cruiser history

Here's a great Land Cruiser heritage web site. Kinda gives you a good feeling that the Surf is built by the same company.

http://www.toyota.com/landcruiser/minisite/index.html

Originally posted by Rob
    Here's a great Land Cruiser heritage web site. Kinda gives you a good feeling that the Surf is built by the same company.

http://www.toyota.com/landcruiser/minisite/index.html

That how to build a web site!

Fish
    If it smells like fish, eat it!

Comment

Originally posted by Fish
      That how to build a web site!

Fish
      Arrrrgggghhh it opens a second window with no button to close it while it starts to play an intro sequence!! Killed it straight away, I hate sites designed like that, taking control of my PC. No need for second window and unforgiveable playing an intro without a clear "skip intro" button, not to mention a button to close the window.

The content may well be fantastic, but the badly implemented introduction means this user for one won't bother to see it.
      Last edited by Morr; 23 July 2004, 07:38.
      Maurice
      Hilux Surf FAQ at www.hiluxsurf.eu

Comment

Originally posted by Morr
        Arrrrgggghhh it opens a second window with no button to close it while it starts to play an intro sequence!! Killed it straight away, I hate sites designed like that, taking control of my PC. No need for second window and unforgiveable playing an intro without a clear "skip intro" button, not to mention a button to close the window.

They must have changed it since you looked cos theres a skip button and close button on here.
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Leodis
          They must have changed it since you looked cos theres a skip button and close button on here.
          That must be after the initial screens which are the ones I have a problem with, attached are the 1st & 3rd screen I see, which take over 60 seconds to download (hate to think how long they would take if I were at home with dial-up)

By this point, no close, no skip, the last one has a click to continue, but no option to close, I simply don't find it acceptable to push an item onto a users screen without warning much less without providing an immediate means of closure. It may indeed be a terrific site, and the opening is undoubtedly slick, but it is still an example of poor design implementation.

Sites such as this I personally close immediately.

Attached Files
          Last edited by Morr; 23 July 2004, 14:53.
          Maurice

Comment

That's an impressive site. An interactive history tour.

How cool would a site like that be for the Surf!

Originally posted by Morr
            By this point, no close, no skip, the last one has a click to continue, but no option to close, I simply don't find it acceptable to push an item onto a users screen without warning much less without providing an immediate means of closure.
            You could always click the X in the top right corner
            Last edited by icsys; 23 July 2004, 16:16.
            Ian
            One day my paranoia will go away!

Comment

This site was probably written by the same people that advised Bush and Blair to invade Iraq....

Quote from http://www.off-road.com/tlc/

"In 1941, the Japanese government instructed Toyota to produce a small, easily manoueverable truck that could be used in the expansion of their Pacific empire. In response, Toyota delivered prototypes of the 2-ton AK-10 in 1942. Unfortunately, it proved too cumbersome so production of light transport trucks was left to Nissan. No examples or photographs of the AK-10 vehicle exist. The only evidence of the AK-10 is a rough sketch. The truck featured an upright front grille, flat fenders that angled down and back like the FJ40, and headlights that mounted above the fenders on either side of the radiator....

The AK-10 arrived 1 year after the initial MA1 General Purpose was delivered to the U.S. Military by Willys-Overland. The first shipment of MB "Jeeps" didn't arrive in the Pacific until 1943. As a result, it was highly unlikely that Toyota had seen a Jeep, never mind copied one. The Land Rover Series I did not arrive on the scene until 1949 so any influence on the precursor to the Land Cruiser is impossible.

TMC struggled throughout World War II. It was conscripted into making aircraft engines and tried to continue producing trucks with what little raw materials were available. After Japan's surrender in 1945, Toyota was allowed to begin production of trucks to aid in the rebuilding of Japan. By 1947, production had begun on the Model BM truck and the Model SB small truck.
              In 1950, the U.S. military filed a special procurement order for 1000 4wd vehicles to be used in the Korean War. Toyota responded with a prototype of the Model BJ on August 1, 1951.

The vehicle was dubbed the "Toyota Jeep," possibly as a result of the wording of the U.S. Army's procurement order. Fortunately, the right to the "Jeep" name was owned by Willys who forced Toyota to choose another name. On June 24, 1954, the name "Land Cruiser" was chosen."

There are a few other prblems like no pages for the 60 series and the 70 and 80 series pages being mis-linked, still it's a pretty page

Comment

ok... i've got a picture of a briefcase... what now?

the label says loading done but there's nowt to click and it won't go away!
                nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Originally posted by icsys
                  ......You could always click the X in the top right corner
                  What X? Thats one of my gripes, pop-up window without titlebar etc, hence no X
                  Maurice

Comment

Working...
                  X