This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Algy Autos read this before you buy from them

Well it's not what I was expecting. The ad I bought from (1st 2 pics)
    http://www.tradecarview.com/used_car...+surf/6020334/

Clearly shows a 1999 SSRV with a blue interior and a new style dash.

What I picked up was an ex Silver surf with badly worn brown interior, complete with dodgy re-spray and different (earlier?) dash set up. Engine bay is so clean I'm thinking rebuilt crash repair?

Attached Files
    Last edited by Koi; 3 June 2012, 17:45.
    Nil illegitimi carborundum

Are you sure you picked the right truck up? There must be some come back if its definatly not the truck advertised.
    4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Surf

Hi sorry to hear your not happy with what they have sent you, l had 7 or 8 vehicles sent that were not as discribed infact 5 of them were the completly wrong vehicles. Check all your paperwork word for word and picture by picture and get onto your supplier, check chassis numbers are correct and engine numbers.
      Let me know how you get on did you mention the differences to the shipping agent before you left with it.?

Regards Hilux-Bob
      Live Life To The Full

Comment

You already know that what was advertised i.e. what you paid for and what you have received are two different vehicles, this is emphasized by the pics you have taken on the rear quarter let alone the badges you say are different. It's possible the dent could have happened in transit but the step plate is a different colour and the rust on the bottom of the spare wheel carrier simply isn't there. What did they say when you picked it up??
        Neal

Comment

That looks so blatantly like a completely different truck, personally I wouldn't have picked it up at all.

I brought the description & pics of the truck with me when I went to get mine. Gave it a check over to make sure it was the same one. You can never be too careful. As it was I still missed a few bits but all in, not a bad truck.

I'd be seriously tempted to take it back with a copy of the original ad & tell them it's a different truck & you either want the truck advertised or you want your money back.
          It's only kinky the first time...

Comment

Surely you did'nt just accept that, and take it away, did you? If it was'nt the truck that you had agreed to purchase, you should have thrown a bucket full of fcuks over them and walked away (whilst threatening them with a visit from trading standards).....Cheers....Mick.
            " Time wounds all heels ".

Comment

Thanks people. Sadly the importer is not the same as the exporter. I'm waiting to hear from them about what happens next. As I had already paid for it up front there seemed little point in not picking it up, also I'd had work done on it since it arrived. As you point out it's blatantly a different truck. The dent has been sprayed, as have all the handles, the plastic trim and metal sections of bumper oh and the grey rubber seals (which are peeling already). I reckon it's about 2 grand less of a truck than the one I paid for, we'll see what happens next. Will keep you posted.

Comment

Originally posted by Hilux View Post
                Hi sorry to hear your not happy with what they have sent you, l had 7 or 8 vehicles sent that were not as discribed infact 5 of them were the completly wrong vehicles. Check all your paperwork word for word and picture by picture and get onto your supplier, check chassis numbers are correct and engine numbers.
                Let me know how you get on did you mention the differences to the shipping agent before you left with it.?

Regards Hilux-Bob
                Yeah, I spoke to the importer and shipping agent. They're on to it in Japan so I'll just have to wait and see. Not going to name names or diss anyone just yet!

Comment

I bet whoever saw the ropey pictures and got your truck is chuffed to bits just now...
                  Good luck sorting it out..
                  it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

I hope it's a case of wrong truck.

Do the two chassis numbers differ widely?

Comment

Originally posted by Ploddit View Post
                      I hope it's a case of wrong truck.

Do the two chassis numbers differ widely?
                      HA HA HA HA, Yer joking, right. H

Comment

So what was the outcome from this saga?

Comment

1st and main mistake....Accepting the truck and not saying anything till later on. 2nd mistake....Spending money on it fixing bits you had no business fixing as it's the wrong truck.

You've now altered the truck therefore the UK importer doesn't have to return your money or try to do anything about it, and the exporter in very far away Japan is laughing all the way to the bank. I wonder how many other people have been caught out like that?

If it were me i'd have had a dicky fit, told them to return the truck, and asked where's my effing money!! Your contract is with the UK importer, not the exporter in Japan, and that's where i would be levying my efforts to secure a full refund because you bought your truck from the UK importer.

Sorry to sound so harsh but if it turns out you can't get anything done it is your own fault. I sincerely hope you can get it sorted out, and you'll be extremely lucky if you can.

Best of luck!!
                          Last edited by Koi; 22 July 2011, 14:13.
                          Now it's time to play!

Comment

Well, the exporter admitted a mistake, even offered the importer a discount, but said the wrong photos were uploaded, the website it was advertised on are saying it's not their issue, I asked them to take him off their site as it appears this is not the first time he's done it, and the importer claims it was nothing to do with him and I couldn't have expected him to check it before it shipped, as it was not purchased from auction? To be fair, after some delay and badgering, he has tried to get my money back but has now just said I have to do it. Sorry guys, have kept off the site for a while because I didn't want to get all fired up and say something I'd regret. But I have to say that's the last time I use, or recommend, Algy's Autos. I thought their guarantee meant something, it obviously doesn't and only applies to cars they physically purchase from auction. And being a regular customer seems to count for nowt either (this was my 4th vehicle from Algy's). So lesson learnt!
                            The Surf is still going, although due to a recent fall I'm not getting out much (broken heel!). The paint is falling of everywhere and it looks like a pile of poo, goes ok though. Still has some weird electrical faults.

Comment

'Bait and switch'?

Get down to citizens advice and trading standards and find out what you can do as you have not been given the right truck
                              Last edited by Koi; 22 July 2011, 14:14.

Comment

Working...
                              X