are these ok ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• are these ok ?

Recption wise that is, http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/shark-fin-roof...item43a63561b4

it's intended for a radio btw, not cb or owt
    Last edited by POPEYE; 4 April 2011, 20:46.
    Too young to die and too old to give a toss

I asked this very question on a car audio forum and the general consensus was they are rubbish. I'm now looking for a springer type aerial to mount on the front bumper instead.

I would have taken a gamble on one but they need a hole drilled which makes it a bit of a chore if it's no good.

Rob.

Comment

There aare kits that convert your rear screen heater to an FM antenna.

Ironicly this is how it works in BMWs, dispite those thigns being sold as a BMW radion antenna!

At least then if it turns out to be shyte, you don't have a hole in the roof!
      More Lift.
      More Tyres.
      More Engine.

Comment

Yep the BMW one just does the gps...

Comment

Is it possible to get stick-on ariels that go on windows anyway? I know my Surf has 2 stick-on TV ariels in it.

Comment

Yup, but I personally don't like the look of them!

My surf has the "thick" rear spoiler with the motorised mirror...

I am wondering if it is hollow, and if it is I can crack it open and make a di-pole antenna in it.

In theory it should be good, its in a plastic case away from the body of the truck... the only issue is reception might cary depending on the angle of the car.

http://www.willus.com/author/antenna.shtml

I don't think the BMW shark fins are GPS only it might vary from car to car.. I have never really looked at mine
            Last edited by Karma Supra; 4 April 2011, 23:23.
            More Lift.
            More Tyres.
            More Engine.

Comment

The BMW Shark fin is actually the GSM antenna for the mobile phone signal, there is a kit available to convert it into a GPS receiver but it`s not suitable for use due to it`s size and construction as an FM aerial, hence pants reception from the ebay stick on jobs. (Edit: Must add I`m no BMW Expert but thats how it works on the 5 series)

As already mentioned they use the heated rear screen element as the radio aerial, that idea goes right the way back to the venerable ole ford sierra and seemed to work well on them, may be worth a little research if you want to go the stealth approach!
              Last edited by JD_975; 4 April 2011, 23:41.

Comment

Yeah come to think my old serria had the aerial in the rear screen heater element, reason i asked about these "shark fins" is i need it to go on the roof at the front and i have the height restriction of the garage roof, just happened to see this fin one on ebay while looking for the short rubber duck things (is reception any better with those?),
                failing this type of aerial is it possible to fit a "tee" or spliter in the original aeriel to run to a head unit and the touch screen tv/radio, recption was always ok on that aeriel, obviously i dont need em both on radio at the same time, it'll be the Blaupunkt head unit for radio recption/cd etc and the telly for well!! telly/dvd/reversing camera, blaupunkt radio is (or will be) fitted in the roof and the telly in the double din slot where it was in the first place, try'd it up in the roof but ya cant see a sodding thing at the viewing angle it was at,
                while i'm at it is there a aerial booster available especially if i'm gonna run two units from one aeriel? any reccomendations? Ido have an amp to fit as well btw,
                got quite a few questions regarding "ICE" but i'll start a thread in the electricle section

just found these, what do ya think? i'd need to extend the aeriel cable up to the roof console, i was thinking this might be a better way of doing it than getting a roof aerial

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ALTAI-3m-CAR-A...item588d6136e0
                http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...=STRK:MEWAX:IT
                Last edited by POPEYE; 5 April 2011, 05:36.

Comment

Aerial boosters here, no idea what makes a good one from a bad one though, sorry.

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/i.html?_nkw=c...booster&_rdc=1
                  Neal

Comment

I just bought two items exactly like that!

Reason: I wanted to share my factory antenna for both radio and TMC for my nav. I was advised that if I used a "T" (well splitter cable) it would be fine.

In reality I just disconnected it this evening because although TMC worked fine, radio reception was pants. I need to have another rethink about what I'm going to do for TMC.

For the TV I one of these

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Car-Freeview-D...item27b9dc7d94

Not had much luck with signal, but it's very weak here... more fiddling required!

JD_975, I agree, it only seems to be the phone prepped cars that have it (at least it is on the E46 3 series) Totally pointless as most people use bluetooth!
                    More Lift.
                    More Tyres.
                    More Engine.

Comment

Originally posted by Karma Supra View Post
                      I just bought two items exactly like that!

Reason: I wanted to share my factory antenna for both radio and TMC for my nav. I was advised that if I used a "T" (well splitter cable) it would be fine.

In reality I just disconnected it this evening because although TMC worked fine, radio reception was pants. I need to have another rethink about what I'm going to do for TMC.

For the TV I one of these

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Car-Freeview-D...item27b9dc7d94

Not had much luck with signal, but it's very weak here... more fiddling required!

JD_975, I agree, it only seems to be the phone prepped cars that have it (at least it is on the E46 3 series) Totally pointless as most people use bluetooth!
                      Cheer's, i have the amplified aerial thing for the tv it's just the unit also has a jack for the standard radio aerial as well, not bothered about good sound on the tv but would like it pretty good on the radio (the blaupunkt unit) so you reccon a splitter decreases the recption?

while i'm at it can i also ask about this bl00dy amp i bought, didn't notice at the time but one of the metal bits is missing on a "line out/line imput" rca jacks, can this part be replaced? and do i really need it to be able to run the amp? the other end of the amp has the speaker terminales and the power/ground and amp lead from the head,
                      got to admit i next to nowt about this stuff and it's doing my head in
                      Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                      X