@ Those with 33's & body lift.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• @ Those with 33's & body lift.....

I dont know if it's my truck or what, but the wind blows me all over the place, to the point where it doesn't feel safe? Do any of you have the same issues?
    I wonder if i need to go and have my steering etc looked at? It feels like theres tonnes of play in the steering, esp motorway driving. Is there anything i can do to improve this?

I took my rear ARB off for off roading, i'm thinking of putting this back on with drop brackets, to improve slightly..

Any help is appreciated. Thanks
    www.vidamusic.co.uk

I never lifted my 2nd gen truck but i took the arb off and it wobbelied like a jelly so Yes if you put the arb back it should stiffen it up a bit as for the steering have a look at your steering joints for play while sombody moves the wheel but from what people have posted it is quite common for the truck to steer in a vauge manor

D
    3rd gen 2.7v6 suzisurf

Comment

Yup, you can't have it both ways.

big chunky tyres, flexy suspension and high center of gravity = good offroad, not so good onroad.

smooth tyres, stiff suspension and low center of gravity = good onroad, no so good offroad.

Simples.
      4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN View Post
        Yup, you can't have it both ways.

big chunky tyres, flexy suspension and high center of gravity = good offroad, not so good onroad.

smooth tyres, stiff suspension and low center of gravity = good onroad, no so good offroad.

Simples.
        Oh crap.... i really hoped you was gonna say "No Rich, there's something wrong go and have it fixed" but looks like i may have to deal with it hey?!

Cheers Tony
        www.vidamusic.co.uk

Comment

lol, there may be more steering stuff worn that the extra lift is exaggerating, and fit a uprated steering stabliser, but there will be a noticable change in road manners anyway with all you have done to the truck, its just physics.

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Mine tends to wander a bit, but i have a tracking problem at the moment, i find you adjust to it.

However I had to go to one of our other sites yesterday and hired a Car, they turned up with a 207Sw and it felt like a little toy in the wind, god i could not believe the difference.

I do prefer my truck now as it feels stable with its large tyres on and although it tramlines its still better than the 207.
            Always room for more power!!!!

Comment

Depends on what you want really! You can buy dampers (eg rancho) that you can dial in from the cab. The ranchos run from 1-10, soft to hard, best of both worlds. But as mentioned, higher truck, bigger tyres..never gonna be a B-road blaster.

Check the steering damper..chances are it's original and more than worn. Mine was shot when I took it off.

Comment

mine used to wander with the same symptoms as yours.

i replaced everything in the steering including a re-built steering box. also new wheel bearings and top and bottom balljoints.

its now got steering like a car - positive and light - its on a 2"body lift and 2"suspension lift running 33s

i also did away with the steering damper as it is a daily driver and hardly ever goes offroad.

vince (bushwhacker) was driving it around in wales and he commented on the light steering.

Comment

meant to say i also spent a half day making sure the tracking and camber were spot on.

worn tyres can also give the same symptoms even when they have plenty tread left - try putting the back ones on the front.

Comment

2" body lift, 2" sus lift, 33's and no ARB's at all and it's as stiff as a flashers dick!, it's the land cruiser springs that do it, steering as light as a feather tho,
                    Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

Originally posted by POPEYE View Post
                      2" body lift, 2" sus lift, 33's and no ARB's at all and it's as stiff as a flashers dick!, it's the land cruiser springs that do it, steering as light as a feather tho,
                      Yes, the LC spring option is my next mod. Been down to Milners this avo and replaced my brake pads, and i told him the symptoms, he said there is a little screw on the steering box that you can tighten up, so will give that a shot too. Steering is lovely and light, its just the wandering that i hate. sometimes feel like you really have to pay attn with it in the wind.

Thanks for your comments everyone
                      www.vidamusic.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by gary-r View Post
                        meant to say i also spent a half day making sure the tracking and camber were spot on.

worn tyres can also give the same symptoms even when they have plenty tread left - try putting the back ones on the front.
                        i only had them at the end of Dec!! I ###### hope they're not wearing! I also had a few hrs up at the tyre centre getting camber and alignment, it was way out, but now is within 1-3% of zero. Cambers were like 30% neg!
                        www.vidamusic.co.uk

Comment

I have a rear spring lift +2" no ARB's front and back with front torsion bar lift, feels fine in the wind.

Guess it's what your used to, my first car was a morris marina coupe, it never had ARB's and that was far worse in the wind that the surf.

I don't drive much over 60 mph though and it really does blow round here hehe.

peace
                          cal
                          Last edited by Calos; 1 April 2011, 19:56.
                          Bala Mud, best underseal there is, only £30 per application.

www.thecellardwellers.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                          X