more PC help!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• more PC help!!

As some of you know from a previous thread my PC gave up the ghost!
    Eventually worked out via a process of elimination that the motherboard and or chipset is gubbed!

Anyway i stuck it all in the loft and started using this laptop instead.
    However there are certain things (pics, Invoices, estimates etc) that i could do with retreiving from the old PCs hard drive.
    All my older PCs in the loft were IDE hard drives so i couldn't just swap as this one is SATA.

So i bought one of these............

http://www.amazon.co.uk/CnM-External.../dp/B003AWYVW8

When i plug it all in i get a popup window on my desktop showing a hard drive named G: giving me the options to A) open folder to view files or B) use this drive for back up.

I click to open it and get a list of whats on it

I click on documents and settings and get my next list

Then click my name and get this

So now i click on what i want to open, lets say the first jpg in that list, and i get a pop up saying....

Then i can follow all the procedures that it comes up wiyh but at the end it still tells me i dont have permission to access/copy/open this file!(or any others like .doc )
    It says i need administrator permission to change who can access the files but as i am the only admin on this lappy and the old sata HDD i am now stumped!
    Any ideas guys!
    ( and FYI i tried booting from the G disc, as it has win xp on it, and it just flashes on the screen for a split second then goes blank!)
    This lappy is running win 7 if that helps

Thanks

Alan
    www.amcbs.webeden.co.uk www.xjrestorations.co.uk

It's looking for your old pc's info. Does it give you an option to enter a password and access it, if so try your main user password off the old pc.

Comment

Originally posted by BigBobE View Post
      It's looking for your old pc's info. Does it give you an option to enter a password and access it, if so try your main user password off the old pc.
      No option for password Bob, that would be too easy!!!

Al

Comment

Probably you need to log on as Administrator
        The "super" or built-in administrator has more privileges than the automatic administrator

Try this
        Enable the (Hidden) Administrator Account on Windows 7 or Vista

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windo...windows-vista/
        Last edited by spacast; 31 March 2011, 18:33.

Comment

A HUGE thankyou to BOB and his friend for sorting this for me via a conference call.
          Happy to report it's all done and sorted and i can now get at everything on the disc!
          It's great to know there are people who will go out of their way to help!
          Cheers Bob and thank Francis for me, i am very much indebted to you both.

Alan

Comment

no hassle Alan, and francis says your welcome.... glad to hear you got all your files back, for the likes of your works files i would setup a gmail account and mail the documents to yourself, this way you always have a copy on googles servers.... they give you about 7GB FREE storage...

Comment

Working...
            X