Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tyre Advice Please

Hi All
    Picking up the new baby on Monday, but it had an advisory on the tyres. At present it's on 265/70/R16's of some description. As I'm going to be mainly using it on road (having the luxury of 2 surf's) and piling on the miles running around various cricket grounds again, I'm thinking of fitting Grabber AT2's. Any reason why I shouldn't increase the tyre size to 285/75/R16? I reckon this would give me better mpg/faster speed as they'd be 7.3% larger, according to this handy calculator

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tirecalc.php

Thanks in advance for all the sensible comments I know I'll get!
    Nil illegitimi carborundum

I would've thought that narrower tyres would give you better mpg - less rolling resistance against the road, lower mass, etc. Have you thought of using the Michelin Energy Savers?

Michelin Energy Savers link

Comment

Hi Martin , long time no talky . Most you can go on a 3rd gen without mods is 265/75 x 16 as they rub on the front bumper extensions on turns. I got my GG AT2's from a guy local to you . Cheapest price by £30 delivered. He will go to your house for fitting at a cost .
      Rick...Member of 1st Gen club. ONE LIFE ... GET ONE !!

Comment

Originally posted by Vagrant No2 View Post
        Hi Martin , long time no talky . Most you can go on a 3rd gen without mods is 265/75 x 16 as they rub on the front bumper extensions on turns. I got my GG AT2's from a guy local to you . Cheapest price by £30 delivered. He will go to your house for fitting at a cost .
        Cool, would love his details? Can he balance them in a mobile unit?
        Cheers Rick, been out of it for a while!

Comment

Originally posted by Ace Piker View Post
          Cool, would love his details? Can he balance them in a mobile unit?
          Cheers Rick, been out of it for a while!
          Here is who I used but that was before VAT increase http://www.tyresunlimited.co.uk/prod...at2-6-123q-owl You may find someone who is still selling at pre VAT increase prices if you search around . I dont know if he does balancing as I had the tryes fitted by the village garage cheaper then the guy suppling .
          Rick...Member of 1st Gen club. ONE LIFE ... GET ONE !!

Comment

Originally posted by Rustinho View Post
            I would've thought that narrower tyres would give you better mpg - less rolling resistance against the road, lower mass, etc. Have you thought of using the Michelin Energy Savers?

Michelin Energy Savers link
            Hmmm, not very good looking and they don't go big enough, only up to 225!

Comment

I had Pirelli Scorpion tyres on the 3rd gen, they're in between a road and an A/T tyre. Couldn't fault them to be honest either on the road or towing across a grassy field.

Comment

Aren't 285/75/r16's "more or less" a 33x12.50?

Will they fit?

If they are 33 ish, then I certainly wouldn't consider them for economy or high road mileage.

Toyota knew what they were doing when they selected tyre size, diff ratios and gearbox ratios...

Most mods (generally) move away from either reliability or economy.

Having said that, they'll look fecking cool!
                "B.A." Baracus: "Talk to me, talk sense so I can talk back. Not all this jibberjabber like breaking the peace and all that."
                www.johnthebuilder.info

Comment

Originally posted by Wolfracer View Post
                  Aren't 285/75/r16's "more or less" a 33x12.50?

Will they fit?

If they are 33 ish, then I certainly wouldn't consider them for economy or high road mileage.

Toyota knew what they were doing when they selected tyre size, diff ratios and gearbox ratios...

Most mods (generally) move away from either reliability or economy.

Having said that, they'll look fecking cool!
                  It was the thought of getting "better mpg" from a Surf that amused me most of all, hence the ironic recommendation of Michelin Energy Savers...!

Comment

Originally posted by Rustinho View Post
                    It was the thought of getting "better mpg" from a Surf that amused me most of all, hence the ironic recommendation of Michelin Energy Savers...!
                    Hmmmm

Surf

Economy

Yeah right....

Mine drinks like a fish, drives like jelly on a plate, and secretes oil like a hormonal teenager...

But, boy do I love fish, jelly and ermm...my surf!
                    "B.A." Baracus: "Talk to me, talk sense so I can talk back. Not all this jibberjabber like breaking the peace and all that."
                    www.johnthebuilder.info

Comment

Working...
                    X