Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• uj lasted 2days

I'm pretty peed off
    I bought a new uj for my propshaft from roughtrax a few months ago. I finally fitted it Thursday and all was looking good, greased it all up with my new grease gun .
    Then today I've just been driving from kidderminster to bromsgrove, I heard a clunk then grinding noise and when I look underneath I've discovered one of the bearing caps has shattered and all the bearings have come out.
    I can't ###### believe it ,less than 2 days of judder free driving.
    PayPal for stickers : scuffsnscrapes@hotmail.com

That's a very unusual failure mode. Keep the bit of the cap that's still there, will be interesting to see the fractures.
    Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

Originally posted by animal View Post
      I'm pretty peed off
      I bought a new uj for my propshaft from roughtrax a few months ago. I finally fitted it Thursday and all was looking good, greased it all up with my new grease gun .
      Then today I've just been driving from kidderminster to bromsgrove, I heard a clunk then grinding noise and when I look underneath I've discovered one of the bearing caps has shattered and all the bearings have come out.
      I can't ###### believe it ,less than 2 days of judder free driving.
      your shitting me! that's what 10 miles? hope you phoned them and gave them hell.

Comment

Originally posted by zetec rob View Post
        your shitting me! that's what 10 miles? hope you phoned them and gave them hell.
        Hardly an appropriate first course of action. Phone them by all means but giving them hell won't do anyone any favours as a first step. Roughtrax are really quite decent folks to deal with and I would imagine they would happily replace it if the part was defective in some way...

Comment

Did it go in without mullering? Did you mark the prop and flange so it went back the same way?

Dont want to suggest you got it wrong, but its very unusual.
          Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

I've had nothing but good service from r/t so I will ring them Monday but in a calm collected manor and see what they say.
            But my plan now is remove prop again and take it to proptech

Comment

I've had nothing but good service from r/t so I will ring them Monday but in a calm collected manor and see what they say.
              But my plan now is remove prop again and take it to proptech

Comment

Originally posted by Apache View Post
                Did it go in without mullering? Did you mark the prop and flange so it went back the same way?

Dont want to suggest you got it wrong, but its very unusual.
                No worries mate . Yeah we used a 15tonne press to pop it out without problems, cleaned up the holes and popped the new joint in easily. Which is why I'm confused as to why it only lasted 10miles

Comment

On my BMW I replaced the CV doughnut on the prop shaft. This lasted about a month or so before it went again. It turned out that my sub-frame which the diff housing bolted to and then this whole thing bolts to the chassis whats fractured and was breaking away and therefore not sitting in its correct position. It wasnt that easy to spot. I replaced the sub frame and then the prop doughnut and all was well again.

How does the rest of your axle look?
                  Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

The rest of the axle seems fine with no play etc.
                    I must just of been unlucky and got 1 faulty cap on it and it just failed.
                    Oh well no driving it again until this is now sorted

Comment

Originally posted by animal View Post
                      The rest of the axle seems fine with no play etc.
                      I must just of been unlucky and got 1 faulty cap on it and it just failed.
                      Oh well no driving it again until this is now sorted
                      stick it in 4wd and use the front axle to drive you about.IF the rear prop shaft is removed then you cant do any damage.
                      www.overfab.uk

Comment

I did wonder if that would work lol.
                        Luckily we have the subaru to use so ill just leave it parked up a few days.

Comment

It works, but don't try to pull away to fast on full lock, its feels very strange.

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by surfenstein View Post
                            stick it in 4wd and use the front axle to drive you about.IF the rear prop shaft is removed then you cant do any damage.
                            did that for about 2 weeks with my sick truck :P does feel a bit odd on full lock...

Comment

Working...
                            X