Ford Mustang 8.8 axle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ford Mustang 8.8 axle

Does anyone have any knowledge regarding differential replacement, adjustment regarding backlash and preload? Just need some clarification on a few things I'm unsure of?
    Oh Nana, what's my name?

try here?
    http://www.mocgb.net/forums/forum.php
    "B.A." Baracus: "Talk to me, talk sense so I can talk back. Not all this jibberjabber like breaking the peace and all that."
    www.johnthebuilder.info

Comment

If you order up the diff tony, it should come with everything you need. It will have the tolerance for bearings, backlash etc. You will need a gauge though.
      Tge backlash for a Dana (probably similair) diff, is between 0.001-0.008 thou.
      I would reccomend, you get a small torque wrench for the pinion...and remember, it's in lbs ft, not newtons.
      Last edited by gwh200; 26 March 2011, 08:53.
      Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

Thanks Graham. I'll have a look through what he's ordered as he has the diff, half shafts, pinion, crown and other bits n bobs like wheel studs.
        I looked online yesterday and found the backlash figures and managed to get a video as a reference as well. What we dont have is a torque wrench yet!

I have a sealey depth guage that I used to measure TDC and pushrod lift years ago on my old car. I also have a magnetic stand to secure it. May be this will be good enough to measure.

Regarding preload do you just tighten it down until you can feel resistance and then back off a little?

Looking into all of this has made me realise I may have a little too much backlash on my diff. Do you know how we do ours and what our figures are?
        Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

I don't know about the surf diff tony. The pinion bearing, should go nicely over the shaft. The bearing needs to be preloaded with a shim(s). It won't be a really heavy torque figure. Is this axle one that has c clips to hold the half shaft in?
          If so, you might want to think about new half shaft seals as well. You have to push the shafts in quite far, to get the clips off.
          Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

Working...
          X