Brake Shudder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brake Shudder

Hi guys, I need a little help. I have massive brake judder on the front brakes. When i apply the brake it violently throws me to the left and judders really bad where the whole truck shakes as if ive been in space and returning into the earths astmosphere. Ive tryed just using the hand brake and it comes to a stop smooth with no problems. This is a list of things i have replaced on BOTH SIDES-
    Brake calipers
    Brake discs
    Trackrod ends
    drop link rods
    Checked wheel bearings
    upper ball joints
    tracking also done

It had its mot 2 months ago and failed on the 2 ball joints which i replaced but i just cant seem to solve this problem and im almost possitive the problem is comming from the right hand side front. I love my surf but im at my wits end i cant remember the last time i applyed the brake and i hadnt felt that brake judder so guys help me solve this problem once and for all with sensible suggestions.

I'd check the obvious stuff first - make sure that everything is bolted together properly & that there are no bits missing (!).

When I've had brake judder in the past its been a case of warped discs. Even though they're new they could be knackered. Always worth a check. No doubt someone more knowledgeable will be along shortly...

Comment

Everything is how it should be and this is the second replacment discs ive put on because that was my first thought but with no luck.

Comment

if the truck pulls one way or the other its due to the fact that one brake is working more than the other, you need to look long and hard at the front brakes, despite what you have allready changed it sounds like a disc is warped or not fitted correctly-ie some comtaminant under it causing uneven braking effort, if it pulls to the left it normally follows that the right is not working as well as the left, the car will allways "go" in the direction of the stronger brake. flexi hoses can become restricted as well. when you changed the discs and pads did the problem go away for a while?, were the parts new? did the flange get cleaned of rust etc, have you checked the wheel bearings? hope that is some help, regards, kirk

Comment

Worn wishbone bushes? making the wishbone move back so the wheels are no longer tracking straight under braking?
          “Do or do not... there is no try.”

Comment

would have thought that if they moved that far that a clunk would be heard when applying brakes, plus mot only just passed so you have thought not....

Comment

Over the last few months ive changed these parts and it did go away for a period of time and then reaccured i then changed the caliper and disc but i still have the problem i received a second hand caliper today from lord lucan which is in gwo, but i did also have a disc off him too second hand but i didnt think it could be that disc because it was from the same side as the caliper i received and that is working correctly. Maybe i just should order a new disc again from rough trax and prey that works.

Comment

But the wishbone bushes i havnt checked so maybe? but there are no clunks or creaks either.

Comment

ok, if the problem has gone away when you have replaced discs and pads before its returning due to an underlying fault, when we get cars in with this kind of fault i drive the vehicle and use the brakes heavily i then take temp mesurements of both discs to make a comparison-they should be the same temp-more or less as each other, it sounds like one brake is "sticking" on all the time-causing overheating and the disc to warp, this "warp" can also measured and compared.

Comment

I totally agree with that last statement thats why ive changed the calipers as well, should that solve the problem on the sticking thing??

Comment

brakes can stick for a variety of reasons, pads siezed in calipers, calipers siezed, flex hoses blocked not allowing return of fluid, kinked brake pipe/s, are you 100% the problem is at the front?
                      also we always replace discs and pads as a set at the same time, its not to sell more or make more money its because it cures the fault and is the correct way to go about these things, so once you get into s/h parts you have to make double sure that EVERYTHING is perfect, hope this is helping!! regards, kirk
                      Last edited by kpautos; 23 March 2011, 22:09.

Comment

Ive got to say yes definatly and its the offside thats causing me the problems. ive blead the brakes also so there is definatly fluid pumping through.

Comment

When you say you replaced stuff, did you replace them with new or used parts?

Are the brake pads new?

Did you replace the discs properly (it is possible to put them on off true)?
                          Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

The discs were new but the calipers were second hand and the ones i have now are working correctly with all pistons free. Ive just changed the off side calliper again 2day and put a second hand disc on from which it was off the same vechile and it was being used by the same caliper which i have and the caliper works fine. could it be that the disc could be warped even though the caliper is in gwo??

Comment

it sounds silly but i've had this problem on various cars with big tyres on, but not on my surf yet, try changing the tyres, maybe borrow some from another surf and try it again, the cars i've had that have suffered from violent shake under braking have all be cured with new tyres.

Comment

Working...
                              X