Lexus Problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lexus Problems

I said I'd go and have a look at a friends Lexus (ls400, auto) tomorrow - as she tried to start it and nothing happened, lights on dash come on but didn't even try to turn over.

Can any one give me some pointers where to check for problems?

I'm going to check the battery is charged and connected properly (because she told me she had had to jump start it before)

The auto lever switch.

Fuses, relays and solonoids are all present and correct and connected.

If none of those are a problem I'll see if the starter turns over.

What else?
    “Do or do not... there is no try.”

It's f***ed, just give it to me.
    Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

has it got an immobiliser.?
      www.overfab.uk

Comment

Originally posted by gwh200 View Post
        It's f***ed, just give it to me.
        That thought crossed my mind, saying: no it's not worth fixing, I'll give you £100 for it as scrap

Comment

Originally posted by surfenstein View Post
          has it got an immobiliser.?
          Good point, I didn't think of that!
          I'll find out tomorrow - If that's the problem it could be a nightmare especially if it's connected to an alarm!

Comment

If it started with a jump from another car before, then I suspect the battery is knackered. It doesn't take a lot of voltage to light the dash up.
            Is there a click from the starter and/or does the dash go very dim when the key is turned?
            Try starting it in neutral too.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
              If it started with a jump from another car before, then I suspect the battery is knackered. It doesn't take a lot of voltage to light the dash up.
              Is there a click from the starter and/or does the dash go very dim when the key is turned?
              Try starting it in neutral too.
              Will find out tomorrow -she doesn't know much about cars and is worried about being ripped off by a garage so I said I'll have a look. If I can look and say (for example) It needs a new battery at least she's not going to get charged by some rip-off merchant for 4 hrs labour just to change a fuse.
              (I'm not saying there aren't good, reliable, honest mechanics out there - but there are some complete b@stards too)

Comment

check the voltage at the battery first an if thats ok an its not turnin over at all check the ground on the starter some cars use a spade type connecter on them an they can often break or jus become loose an fall off the starter...if the connections are ok on the starter id be checkin the voltage at the starter then wit a multi meter wen you get someone to try start it

Comment

Originally posted by Dara View Post
                  check the voltage at the battery first an if thats ok an its not turnin over at all check the ground on the starter some cars use a spade type connecter on them an they can often break or jus become loose an fall off the starter...if the connections are ok on the starter id be checkin the voltage at the starter then wit a multi meter wen you get someone to try start it
                  hehehe you'll be struggling to get a meter on the starter - its hiding under the inlet and fuel system on an ls400. keeps it nice and warm and dry though

Comment

check for fluid leaking out of the power steering pump and leaking into the alternator, if it has then sometimes the alternator can be saved but it is better to replace it after the p.s.p has been repaired, p.s.p. repair kits can be got from toyota for around £25.00.

Comment

Had a look today - knackered battery!
                      £75 for a new one from my local car shop and the lady I was helping is very happy (as is my boss 'cos I was looking at her car as a favour to him) I'll be fitting it tomorrow.

Can't see any leak from P.S.P. so I think it's just a case of battery age - it's the original Toyota/Lexus one (16 years old)

Comment

Marvelous!

To whom do I send the invoice?

Comment

I'm going to say to the lady if she decideds to get rid of the car to let me know - then I'll let you all know

Comment

Working...
                          X