No announcement yet.

R.I.P. Harry.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

sorry to hear about Harry he looked a lovley dog.
    Always up to my neck in it

Comment

Thank you for all your sympathies, he will be greatly missed.

Any ideas how to explain to a three year old where his best mate has gone?
      He hasn't mentioned it yet, but we suspect he will when he comes downstairs in the morning.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post

He hasn't mentioned it yet, but we suspect he will when he comes downstairs in the morning.
        Don't mention the word "sleep" or the poor little guy won't want to go to settle in bed again for the next 6 months...

I guess you'll just have to try and explain as best as he can understand that Harry was very poorly and that the kindest thing to do was to stop his pain and that he died and he won't be coming back.

Kids are pretty resilient to these things and they don't really develop a sense of the permanence of death until they're quite a bit older so he'll probably take it better now than he would've done in a few years time.

I really don't envy you and it brought a lump to my throat thinking about what I would say if it was me.

Comment

Not an easy one to answer I'd say your the best person to gauge what to say to them, each child is different and you would know best.

I think it'll come to you when the question comes.

peace
          cal
          Bala Mud, best underseal there is, only £30 per application.

www.thecellardwellers.co.uk

Comment

Very Very Sad Vince, just hold on to the good memories of Harry which I am sure there are lots.

Comment

Vince,
              I hope the little fella was OK this morning. I feel for you all.
              Henry

Comment

Are you going to get another ? if so do it quick and let them grow up together or just walk away and don't build another life-long bond that surely is broken! I lost my last pup to parvovirus, couldn't go through it again I haven't even kept a collar or lead, just couldn't do it.
                Death rides a Black Horse

Comment

I`d go with get another quickly seems callous but it`ll help everybody. i try to have at least two preferably three what they give you is so much more than what they take when they go

Comment

Originally posted by flounderbout View Post
                    Vince,
                    I hope the little fella was OK this morning.
                    There's a joke in there somewhere, but for the purposes of this thread I'll leave it where it is...

As for kids, we had to explain where 2 Grandparents had gone when he was 3.
                    Somehow he already knew about "heaven" and just believes they've moved on to this other place. We never even had to discuss it, he must have learnt it from somewhere, but is happy with the concept, so we've left it at that.

If you think you'll get another dog, then get your son involved in picking another... the excitement will take the edge of it.
                    "B.A." Baracus: "Talk to me, talk sense so I can talk back. Not all this jibberjabber like breaking the peace and all that."
                    www.johnthebuilder.info

Comment

I didn't want to mention another dog on a forum, I'd probabley would in person though.

Another member here recently lost their dog, and I didn't know till I nipped over and asked where she was.. felt a bit awakward but then we started talking about dogs and I just asked outright if they where getting another, and now they have a new pup.

It's the right thing to do for most but not for all, you can never replace but you can love again.

I think if it where me with a young'n I most certainly would.

peace
                      cal
                      Bala Mud, best underseal there is, only £30 per application.

www.thecellardwellers.co.uk

Comment

Sorry for you lose. R.I.P Harry

Comment

the misses dog passed when our lad was just 2.half,he didnt seem to understand properly but knew about heaven.so it wasn't that bad for him

the misses didn't want another then,she couldn't beaar the loss again,but I did,so i used the kids to get another , shown them round puppies etc till we found the one we wanted( got the kids to do the nagging)

the lad was 14 next time round and was much sadder for him but was old enough to understand. but he grew up with a pet dog who was , like you say ,there best friend.

a dog gives you all unconditional love and i think this is great for a kiddy to grow up with.
                          but the downside is , we all know their only around for 10-13 years,and then we have to face the saddness again, but i think the joy they bring far outwieghs this

hope your all ok

x

Comment

Sorry to hear that m8 what a lovely looking dog

Comment

Damn, sorry to hear that. Have 2 dogs myself and am dreading the day. Jake (Irish Water Spaniel) has had many lumps removed and so far they have all been benign. He has another and I just can't bring myself to take him to the vet!

Dobie's are wonderful dogs (I had one too!). I'm sure he went happy mate!

Take care

Martin
                              Nil illegitimi carborundum

Comment

Working...
                              X