New lens taken 15 min ago
    Attached Files

Back in the day Baby

bigger

Slightly less compressed pic
    Attached Files

Back in the day Baby

Comment

What sort of set up are you using to get these?, they're smashing.

Comment

What set up are you using Vultch?

I've been toying with the idea of buying an astro-photography set-up for donkeys years but never quite got around to it.

The digital stuff you can do these days is amazing - take loads of images, tracking across the sky, add them together and subtract the interference from the atmosphere and you can end up with some cracking photos...

http://www.bspcn.com/2009/03/03/astr...ronomy-photos/

I particularly like this one:

Comment

Nikon D5000

New lens i got off eBay... Sigma 50 - 500 telephoto

eBay bargain got it for 1/3 the new price 9 months old..

Back in the day Baby

Comment

great pics but i only looked cos i thought it would be a dolly in a g-string

Comment

Some of those other pics are amazing.. I just stood outside my front door..

must climb a big hill next time the atmospheric haze was visible in the viewfinder..

Back in the day Baby

Comment

Cheers, I have an old eos 350d but i'm pretty sure sigma do lenses for those too.

Paul

Comment

Yeah sigma do lens for all the main players, sometimes they're good sometimes not so, its best to get makers top glass, L's in canons case but the prices are huge for longer focal lengths, I'm Nikon myself as its easier and cheaper to buy older good optics than canon who change lens mount every few years. H

PS. By the way, the moon pics are not sharp, possibly why the sigma was for sale or you didn't stop it down to the sweet spot, win some.............
                  Last edited by Hazzo; 21 March 2011, 00:24.

Comment

Its a new toy, i had the aperture wide open... the edges appear to be in focus but the center not.. this lens new £ 1400

also atmospherics.. some cloud and a haze
                    next time as small an aperture as possible

Back in the day Baby

Comment

Originally posted by Rustinho View Post
                      What set up are you using Vultch?

I've been toying with the idea of buying an astro-photography set-up for donkeys years but never quite got around to it.

The digital stuff you can do these days is amazing - take loads of images, tracking across the sky, add them together and subtract the interference from the atmosphere and you can end up with some cracking photos...

http://www.bspcn.com/2009/03/03/astr...ronomy-photos/

Thats the horse head nebula in Orion right?
                      Edit just noticed it says what it's called on the pic

Vultch, a bloke at work has a telescope and he holds his iPhone up to the lens to capture shots and theyre pretty decent. I'll see if I can grab them?

Also the part where the moon goes into shaddow I forget what this is called. Something like terminator but doesnt sound right. You should be able to see big exaggerated crators. Your photo looks out of focus or rather looks like it has had a photoshop filter applied to it. Why is this? May need some tweaking
                      Last edited by dieselboy; 21 March 2011, 00:57.
                      Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Originally posted by Rustinho View Post
                        Is that the Sea Horse Nebula (or some similar name)? I like that one too...
                        Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

Originally posted by dieselboy View Post
                          Thats the horse head nebula in Orion right?
                          Yes.

It's really impressive when you get to see something like that in a telescope. Unfortunately the only telescope I have access to isn't really much use for that sort of thing. I can get an ok-ish view of things like Jupiter & Saturn and quite a nice view of the moon but it was mainly designed for solar observations (my brother did some quite nice drawings of sunspots & tracking mercury using it).

I will get a decent telescope one day, especially if my son (who is only 2 1/2 at the mo) starts to show an interest.

Comment

I WANT to get a Solar telescope. I think it's the most interesting out of everything but arent they thousands of pounds? I see one on The Sky At Night show months ago. It was hooked up to a monitor and you could see the Suns corona lipping away and moving in real time. It literally was just like watching a ball of fire.
                            I also assist with one of these cloud computing University projects, assisting for the search of Pulsars and neutron stars.
                            Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Originally posted by dieselboy View Post
                              I WANT to get a Solar telescope. I think it's the most interesting out of everything but arent they thousands of pounds? I see one on The Sky At Night show months ago. It was hooked up to a monitor and you could see the Suns corona lipping away and moving in real time. It literally was just like watching a ball of fire.
                              I also assist with one of these cloud computing University projects, assisting for the search of Pulsars and neutron stars.
                              You can pick up bargains if you keep your eyes peeled. I can't remember where we got ours from (I say ours, it's actually my brother's but he never minds if I want to borrow it) but I think it was from a local auctioneers and it didn't really fit in with everything else in the sale. It's a bl00dy great hulking lump of a telescope, the tripod is over 6ft tall and the telescope is a good 4 or 5ft long and is pretty heavy. Can't remember any details about the lenses off-hand but it's something like a 3 inch refractor. Very old and would probably be interesting to set up with some sort of CCD to plug it into a laptop but having looked into doing that a few years ago there isn't an easy, practical way to do it.

Comment

Working...
                              X