Ball Joint splitters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ball Joint splitters

Need to do my track rod outer ends both sides has anyone used this http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/s...egoryId_165469 do they work as I have tried to smack the old ball joint with a lump hammer but it won't separate ...

I've used one - they're a bit tight to get in but if you're replacing the ball joint it's not a problem! they do work
    “Do or do not... there is no try.”

Comment

I use this type - do it up nice and tight with a normal ring spanner (not extension / breaker bars). Give the side of the joint a good crack with a lump hammer. Works every time.
      Attached Files

Comment

ball joints

My mate says just bash the outer part of the joint with a big hammer,bit scared of the track rod arm breaking myself

As above,spot on Rob

Comment

If you do the hammer thing, you really need 2 to get it first time. Use the splitter Rob posted. I, personally, don't rate the fork ones; they damage the balljoint and its gaiter (it's been known for them to burst the cup from the tapered/ball bit), so completely useless if you want to re-use the joint.
          Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

iv used the one wishbone posted for a couple of yrs now makes an easy job of splittin ball joints

Comment

All ya really need Mark is a good 3lb hammer n a good hit or two n fanny's ya aunt .... never used anything else !! as a good mechanic i'll tell ya .....
              Good Luck

Jess
              nearly 10 years of Surfs
              "Cos short cuts can cost more in the long run"
              Buncefield Burner

Comment

Originally posted by Diezel Weazel View Post
                All ya really need Mark is a good 3lb hammer n a good hit or two n fanny's ya aunt
                that works most of the time but you always come across a stubborn balljoint that wont split wit jus hittin it wit a hammer alone

Comment

Thanks Folks I will steer clear of the fork one!! and get one similar to the one wishbone posted and see how it goes.

Cheers
                  Mark

Comment

Working...
                  X