Your opinions please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your opinions please

I'm about to buy an astra dual fuel car(lpg petrol) for the wife anyboby know good or bad things about them.

This one http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2003-53-VAUXHA...34635784915610
    I'm a custard donut monster

Originally posted by jotto View Post
    I'm about to buy an astra dual fuel car(lpg petrol) for the wife anyboby know good or bad things about them.

They're made from Chocolate and they're very fond of head-gaskets. Quite pricey too. Have you thought of a Volvo S60 Bi-fuel? 10 times better and no more expensive.
    En Ferus Hostis. Be your own man. Follow nobody.

Comment

Originally posted by Surfer Ross View Post
      They're made from Chocolate
      If you find bite marks in the steering wheel then you will know that your wife checks up on your internet activity and has read this thread...

Comment

They're made from Chocolate and they're very fond of head-gaskets. Quite pricey too. Have you thought of a Volvo S60 Bi-fuel? 10 times better and no more expensive.

It's still a Vauxhall though.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
          Its a Ford actually, you want a Vauxhall, you buy a Saab

The S60 and V70 phase 2 were penned and build before Ford got their hands on the Company so they are still superb cars.

Comment

I knew it was one or the other.

Doesn't any manufacturer make their own parts any more?

Comment

I knew it was one or the other.

Doesn't any manufacturer make their own parts any more?
              Economies of scale Vince. Its a sad situation. I have a 52 plate S60 2.4T and its a brilliant car, build quality is really good. I wouldn't buy a new one though, destroyed by Ford the same as Saab haven't built a good car since the 9000.

Comment

Its a Ford actually, you want a Vauxhall, you buy a Saab

The S60 and V70 phase 2 were penned and build before Ford got their hands on the Company so they are still superb cars.
                I have a 1999 2.4 non turbo C70 which I do like apart from the fact it has just cost me £200 in parts alone and 3 days of work to get through its mot

I just seached the usual places for a s60 bi fuel and nothing within a 100mile radius or under 100,000 miles for under £4000.
                I'm a custard donut monster

Comment

I have a 1999 2.4 non turbo C70 which I do like apart from the fact it has just cost me £200 in parts alone and 3 days of work to get through its mot

I just seached the usual places for a s60 bi fuel and nothing within a 100mile radius or under 100,000 miles for under £4000.
                  There are a few around on Autotrader for sub 3k at less than 100k miles. Cliche'd as it sounds, 100k miles really is just about run in for a 5 cylinder Volvo. They'll do upwards of 500000 miles on nothing more than routine maintenance and, ahem... MOTs

We used to have Astra dual fuels at work and had nothing but bother with them. Stupid things like wheel bearings, clutches, radiator mounts etc going south at 20k miles. It really shouldn't happen on a modern car.
                  Last edited by Surfer Ross; 5 March 2011, 01:30.

Comment

I have a 1999 2.4 non turbo C70 which I do like apart from the fact it has just cost me £200 in parts alone and 3 days of work to get through its motAND A SORE HEAD

Enjoying Life after Cancer
                    Pops

Comment

I bought a van version for one of the lads who worked for me at the time, very cheap to run, however it cooked 2 head gaskets within 12 months, and the LPG ended up malfunctioning, that was within about 40k miles.

Check the head prior to purchase, and maybe look at buying an independant warranty if you can - TBH I personally think it's quite expensive, I paid £2,800 for our one about 2.5 years ago and that was on a 53 reg. Good luck!

Comment

Economies of scale Vince. Its a sad situation. I have a 52 plate S60 2.4T and its a brilliant car, build quality is really good. I wouldn't buy a new one though, destroyed by Ford the same as Saab haven't built a good car since the 9000.
                        i was offered a 2002 s60 and 2k cash for my 3rd gen the other day.Due to it being newer then the road tax was gonna be a lot higher so i said no
                        https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Originally posted by stormforce View Post
                          i was offered a 2002 s60 and 2k cash for my 3rd gen the other day.Due to it being newer then the road tax was gonna be a lot higher so i said no
                          It depends on the engine Rich, mine is £240 a year at present. I'm sure the Government won't be long in abolishing the pre-March 2001 rule for road tax, god only knows how much we'll be paying to tax a Surf then.

Comment

As is this if you look hard enough...

"B.A." Baracus: "Talk to me, talk sense so I can talk back. Not all this jibberjabber like breaking the peace and all that."
                            www.johnthebuilder.info

Comment

Dual fuel

Jon,only downside I know of is.....You cant take vehicle through the channel tunnel if its dual fuel,or so i have been told.Something to do with explosive gases,but surely petrol or diesel can be explosive if used wrongly.Alan

Comment

Working...
                              X