Whats the difference between Surf and a Land Cruiser

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whats the difference between Surf and a Land Cruiser

Been looking on over landing sites as i am building my truck up for some big journeys in the future.

Alot of them strongly recommend Land rovers or Toyota Land cruisers.

My current project truck is a 1996 3l 3 gen

What are the major differences between the land cruiser and the 3 gen surf.

3rd Gen Surf is very similar to the LWB LC 90/95 Colorado/Prado, including same chassis, engine, etc. In terms of overlanding cruisers, the 80 series and the hard top ambulance model are most common and most often recommended for the heavier duty expedition work, but a Colorado/Prado or 2nd/3rd Gen should be fine as well. Most useful mods would be improving/renewing the suspension, some durable AT tyres (BFG AT or similar), and thorough service before you go. You can also go completely overboard and spend tens of thousands of pounds on every possible modification offered by overland and expedition outfitters, but I've generally kept it simple for my extended trips.

Comment

The thing that bothers me most about the toyota is the amount of electronics there are to go wrong. If a major electrical failure was to occur in the middle of the Gobi desert, can the sophisticated electroics be by passed to get the truck going again.

Comment

Thats why people use Toyotas or really old Landrovers. :-)

A Colorado/Prado is just a rebodied Surf, you might as well take the Surf. Nothing wrong with them, but they built to mid sized SUV spec, and not the ultimate overland truck because of this.

A PROPER LandCruiser like the Amazon shaped ones or the 70 series are built much tougher and heavier duty and have very few issues with being abused for long periods.

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Two things I never thought I'd see together in the same thread.

"sophisticated electronics" and "Surf"

From the electronics on the truck, there's probably only the engine / gearbox ECU that would stop you. If you're that concerned, take a spare? You'll find that the 'common' landcruiser (the 80 series) has a similar level of electronics fitted, if not more, and the later Amazons etc have a whole lot more!

Unless you mean an old Defender, other landys such as Discos and Range rovers have far more trouble with their electronics than Toyotas of similar age.
          Last edited by Apache; 1 March 2011, 17:34.
          Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

I think that when they attempted to destroy the undestroyable on Top Gear, they should've done similar things to some other types of off-road vehicles.

It would've been interesting.

But I'm more than chuffed with wot I got!!

Me dad used to have an ancient Landcruiser, when I was but a blip, and he used to run it on all sorts, because it didn't seem to mind.

I know they don't make em like that anymore,... Not for a while in fact.

Everything happens for a reason, and only one way....
            The way it does!

Comment

Correct me if I'm wrong,but The 4 Runner has no gearbox or engine ECU,So technically could be a better choice for such a trip???

Regards

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN View Post
                Thats why people use Toyotas or really old Landrovers. :-)

A Colorado/Prado is just a rebodied Surf, you might as well take the Surf. Nothing wrong with them, but they built to mid sized SUV spec, and not the ultimate overland truck because of this.

A PROPER LandCruiser like the Amazon shaped ones or the 70 series are built much tougher and heavier duty and have very few issues with being abused for long periods.

Bugger....back to the drawing board....
                .... Which was nice.

Comment

Reason i started the thread was to see what Land Cruisers had over the Surf.

Im all for taking the Hilux Surf. I originally got a 2.4 but sold it after only having it for 4 weeks. Felt the 3 litre to be more suitable. Think itll make a great truck.
                  As i said electrics were only concern.

But as Apache said, Take spares. Is that just as case of taking relevant circuit boards and chips, that just pull out and plug in?

Have a few shorter trips planned over next year or 2 before heading of on a big one. When i say big, maybe a couple of years who knows.

First trip will be to Iceland next spring for 2 weeks.

Then a trip to the most northern point of Europe.(In winter)

Maybe one down to Morroco before the big one.

Think half the fun is fiddling with the truck in preparation.

Im quite a tidy person and everything has to be neat and have its place so some kind of interior storage will be built.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt.n.p View Post
                    But as Apache said, Take spares. Is that just as case of taking relevant circuit boards and chips, that just pull out and plug in?
                    Nope. There's two PCBs in the *auto* ECU, (no idea what the manual one is like, or even if it has one) and it would not be serviceable on the go, so if you felt that an ECU might cause issues, get one from a breaker and take it with you.

Personally, the ECU would be low on my list of spares if there was a limit to how many spares I could take.

Comment

Get a nissan patrol 4.2 ltr, no engine or g/box ecus and in mho just as good as the land cruiser but a lot cheaper.
                      www.overfab.uk

Comment

The manual truck DOES have an engine ECU. The ECU ident code is prefixed 'MT' rather than 'AT'

Comment

Im all for taking the Hilux Surf. I originally got a 2.4 but sold it after only having it for 4 weeks. Felt the 3 litre to be more suitable. Think itll make a great truck.

Have a few shorter trips planned over next year or 2 before heading of on a big one. When i say big, maybe a couple of years who knows.

Im quite a tidy person and everything has to be neat and have its place so some kind of interior storage will be built.
                          What route are you taking too Iceland?
                          Brian

Comment

Northern point...that will be norskapp then...nice easy run but a bit boring.

Morocco is stunning. Was there last year and will be back there with the mrs this year... Again very easy and none of the hassle it used to be.

Really don't panic to much about breakdowns...you will be amazed that even in the middle of nowhere help seems to turn up.

Looks like I may beat you to the off on the big trip...just one year for me and the mrs....don't forget even doing things on the cheap you still have to allow for about £14,000 to be away for a year.

Having the storage built next month by a local carpenter...

Good luck with the build...plus where are you in Sussex??

.... Which was nice.

Comment

Originally posted by yoshie View Post
                              What route are you taking too Iceland?
                              Nothing definite yet as wont be till next year but possibly ferry from Hirtshals in northern Denmark

Comment

Working...
                              X