Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel Leak 2.4 TD Surf 1992

Hi People,

Been getting some good information from this forum since 2007 when My Beast developed its first fuel leak. Not a pretty sight watching my pride and joy and my wallet bleeding to death. That repair seems to have lasted thus far but still cost my dearly £££. Anyway i have desided to join up as i am determined to keep My Beast on the road and i am finding what you guys have to say increasingly useful, especially now since my fuel pump seems to be leaking (like a STUCK PIG) again but from a different place. Can anyone suggest or recommend someone who can supply me with a recon pump as, going off my last bill for repair, it may be more cost effective to replace than to repair. Any suggestions would be grately appreciated.

welcome
    Take a look in the for sales section there a few breakers in there so someone will have one.
    Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
    My choice
    Back off

Comment

Hello welcome - I think TonyN has a breaker in at the moment.
      “Do or do not... there is no try.”

Comment

I do, but wheres it leaking? all the seals can be replaced apart from the rear one.

Normally they leak forn the lid or the oval covers on each side. You have to take the pump out to change the inner side one.

If it wasn't done, or not done properly last time you might not need a whole pump.

Its quite a phaff changing the pump, if you can't DIY it most of the expense is labour charges.
        4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Hilux Fuel Leak!

Firstly, i would like to thank Tony N and everyone who commented on my fuel leak issue. And secondly, apologise for not writing sooner but i have only just calmed down. i have now had this leak fixed and (touch wood) it has been fine since. i ended up using a garage's services to fix the leak which as you all said, cost a fortune, £900.00 to be exact. The garage labour charges were £300.00, the pump had to be sent away for a whole 10 days where it was stripped down and what amounted to re-conditioned, this cost £480.00. The final £100.00 went on two new batteries which were needed as the two weeks that the garage had my pride and joy was just enough time to kill the other two off to the point where they would no longer hold any charge. Anyway, that done, hopefully life can carry on with the knowledge that All my fuel is now being burned and not just thrown on the ground beneath me. Incidentally on the way to the garage the leak was so bad it took £10.00 worth of diesel to do 7 YES 7 miles and the mechanic said that the only time he has seen something similar was from a fountain in his local garden centre (smart arse!!!)

Comment

I had the mechanical pump from the world's first fuel injected production car stripped and rebuilt for £350....

Comment

Originally posted by Sancho View Post

I had the mechanical pump from the world's first fuel injected production car stripped and rebuilt for £350....
              Diesel?
              Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Originally posted by dieselboy View Post
                Diesel?
                No, but that's not important.

Comment

Originally posted by Sancho View Post
                  No, but that's not important.
                  I thought it was. Diesel engines only run off fuel injection. Unless I'm mistaken (again!)
                  Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

my pump used to leak - left it alone due to free diesel at work.

drove it to wales to get the v8 fitted and it had stopped leaking by the time i got there

Comment

Originally posted by dieselboy View Post
                      I thought it was. Diesel engines only run off fuel injection. Unless I'm mistaken (again!)
                      Oh, I see. Yes, it was the world's first petrol fuel injected production car. There are, of course, earlier diesels.

Not that it matters.

My point was purely that this is cheaper to fix than an electric pump off a surf, it would seem.

Comment

Working...
                      X