spare wheel carrier

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• spare wheel carrier

i have just bought a spare wheel carrier for my surf could anyone give me any advise on drilling the holes in the correct place aprox where the holes go ect, it has come off another surf but i didnt take it off my self or i would have had the tape measure out and checked first

Originally posted by cuz 62
    i have just bought a spare wheel carrier for my surf could anyone give me any advise on drilling the holes in the correct place aprox where the holes go ect, it has come off another surf but i didnt take it off my self or i would have had the tape measure out and checked first
    rusty's done it, but i think it's quite a big job as the rear pillar has to be strengthened to hold the weight.
    nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

...on the subject of which, i saw a very nice looking black surf today (with two bull bars on!?). the wheel carrier was chrome and frankly it looked quite pimp! is it an aftermarket product or just a case of going to the chromers?

Comment

here is one of rusty's pics
        Attached Files
        (\__/)
        (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
        (")_(")

Comment

Originally posted by mat1
          ...on the subject of which, i saw a very nice looking black surf today (with two bull bars on!?). the wheel carrier was chrome and frankly it looked quite pimp! is it an aftermarket product or just a case of going to the chromers?
          probably came like that from japan... but if you strip the powdercoat then it could be chromed.
          nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

is the pillar not the same on the ones with or without the carrier i thought it was the customers choice when new i would not of thought they would of changed the bodywork just to fit the carrier i was hoping just to put some metal plates on the inside of the pillar hears hoping

Comment

...i was hoping just to put some metal plates on the inside of the pillar hears hoping
              That's what you probably will have to do, however the actual construction of the pillar is slightly different on the models with the carrier, thay have an extra strengthning plate/strip which is put in place during manufacture, no room to insert it later.

Best wait for Rusty to drop in, as he's the only one on here I'm aware of to have completed this mod.
              Maurice
              Hilux Surf FAQ at www.hiluxsurf.eu

Comment

You need to fit the catch section first to the tailgate so you can then fit the swing out bit after. You'll soon see the position as it can really only go in one place.
                Tailgate
                Position it, mark and drill the holes (careful of the window) then take out the window mech, slide the window up (taking care not to drop it out of the tailgate) You will have to make a plate up for the inside of the tailgate tfor the catch to fasten to. Mine was shaped to fit the 3 sets of holes from the bottom up then a single piece for the top ones. I also welded nuts on the back so it made fitting easy. This was then bonded & waxoil'd into place.

The other thread has the details on how to fabricate the internal brackets for the swinging piece.

http://www.yotasurf-online.co.uk/pub...ead.php?t=6000
                NO WORRIES!
                Rusty

Comment

Working...
                X