Does anyone know

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anyone know

I am looking to buy a 3rg Gen Surf with the centre diff that allows you to use 4wd on tarmac. Am I right in thinking that anything on a P Plate or later will allow this or is it an option ??? How do I tell if the truck has one fitted or not ??

Cheers

Andy

Originally posted by Andy W
    I am looking to buy a 3rg Gen Surf with the centre diff that allows you to use 4wd on tarmac. Am I right in thinking that anything on a P Plate or later will allow this or is it an option ??? How do I tell if the truck has one fitted or not ??

Cheers

Andy
    Easy to spot a 3rd Gen, look for the lift-up tailgate. AFAIK all 3rd Gen Surfs have a centre diff (except some early US 4Runner badged versions) You'll find the transfer lever differs to the 2nd Gen which moves only fore and aft, with the centre diff the 3rd Gens tx lever moves from 2 & 4wd open diff at the front, back to 4wd with locked diff, then to the right and forward to engage lo ratio.

no idea what year a 'P' plate relates to, but any Surf manufactured (regardless of when registered) after August 1995 will be a 3rd Gen
    Last edited by Morr; 15 July 2004, 13:47.
    Maurice
    Hilux Surf FAQ at www.hiluxsurf.eu

Comment

Cheers Maurice,
      All is clear !! They seem to be in short supply lately (3rd Gens) so I have a bit of a mission on my hands to find a good one.

Andy

Comment

A P plate is around 1997 i think
        (\__/)
        (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
        (")_(")

Comment

Originally posted by marky
          A P plate is around 1997 i think
          P Plate is August 1996 to end July 1997.

Cheers

Comment

Cheers

Andy

Spotted one on the way back home monday on a forcourt in the north west, so may be a bit far for you m8, blue over silver on a p plate for £8499. A good 1-1.5 thou lower than normal.

You wont regret getting a 3rd gen m8, mine is the best motor I've owned without a doubt!!

Fish
            If it smells like fish, eat it!

Comment

Cheers

Andy
              Some 3rd gens are N plates.