Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing stripes/decals ect

Hi All,

Can anyone give me info on the best and cleanest way to remove the factory standard stripes/decals from the sides of my truck, don't want to damage the paint under them if poss.

hi
    i own a small sign & graphics business, use a hot air gun or decent hair dryer to get the vinyls hot, i mean hot not warm & carefully start peeling back the vinyl, you get a feel for the right direction to pull the vinyl that leaves less glue behind. Use white spirit or a specific glue remover to get the remnants off, if using white spirit you need to let it soak in for a few mins, sometime if there is alot of glue the spirit wioll soak in completely, in this case flood it again with more then when its loose i find an old credit card or similar plastic item will gently "scrape" the glue off, remove white spirit residue with meths or IPA alcohol (not the beer) or similar. having done this on a surf factory graphic it was a bit of a faff as the factory rubbish is printed onto a chrome film, not sure if yours is the same,
    give us a ring if your having butterflies about it or need moral support

grant (red)

Comment

Sticky stuff remover by de-solvit works well, especially at removing the glue residue. It's a gel you spray on then use a plastic scaper. You can get it from Wilkos.

Comment

That's fantastic mate, just the sort of info i was hoping for, not sure i would trust myself with the hot air gun on the truck lol, i'll get hold of a good hairdryer.

Thanks for the info Red, very much apreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by oneidadan View Post
          Sticky stuff remover by de-solvit works well, especially at removing the glue residue. It's a gel you spray on then use a plastic scaper. You can get it from Wilkos.
          Yeah i've seen this stuff, going to give the white spirit a go first as i've got a 5ltr bottle of it lol

Comment

Don't muck about with it, I tried doing that sort of thing, took ages.
            I gave in after a short while and bought one of these as recommended on here, took about an hour start to finish with this.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/STRIPE-REMOVAL...item3cb519c38d
            Neal

Comment

Toffee wheel or caramel wheel on a slow slow slow SLOW! drill will do the job

Some patience as well but I can't find that on ebay
              Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Like Red October said, hot air gun. Easiest way for removing anything that has been fixed with an adhesive. I removed the foam strip you get on the back of the weather deflectors and that sh*t is nasty. Hot air gun made light work of it.

Comment

Hot air guns get seriously hot though. That would damage the paint would it not? The toffee wheel just sort of grabs the sticker little by little and polishes it off.
                  Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

i'll give both methods a try and let you all know which worked best for me.

Comment

i got most of my 'cum stain' stickers off with hairdryer and peeling it, but some of it had been in the sun too long and is stuck fast

might give that toffee wheel idea a go next...

hairdryer, warm up the sticker and peel off, very quickly and very simply removed all the stickers that were still good..

Comment

When I bought my truck it was covered in stickers (I mean literally covered)
                        Big graphic on bonnet, loads on wings and windows

I used a hair dryer to heat them and then I peeled them off - I then used celulose thinners to take the sticky stuff off - it worked and didn't damage the paint - I'd tested a small area first!
                        “Do or do not... there is no try.”

Comment

rob
                          why didnt you come and ask me , i remove stickers all the time when i do paintwork

got the stuff thatll work a treat
                          PayPal for stickers : scuffsnscrapes@hotmail.com

Comment

Gonna have a go at mine when we get a warm day.
                            One side "jet washed" off, I kid you not, but left the sticky glue behind. Think some autoglym intensive tar remover should do the job. Or if you can get it Upvc cleaner - alcohol based (trade stuff, but its super strong and disolves glue/oil/sticky stuff like nothing else...)
                            "B.A." Baracus: "Talk to me, talk sense so I can talk back. Not all this jibberjabber like breaking the peace and all that."
                            www.johnthebuilder.info

Comment

Originally posted by animal View Post
                              rob
                              why didnt you come and ask me , i remove stickers all the time when i do paintwork

got the stuff thatll work a treat
                              You was ####ed last night when i thought of it lol

Comment

Working...
                              X