Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Salus boiler thermostat / conflicting

http://www.salus-tech.com

Does anyone have or know about these stats?

My nan had a new boiler including this stat fitted around three years ago. Recently she has had some probs with the boiler doing it's own thing. Engineers have been called and only made things worse - e.g. she had been booking the yearly service and the engineer came out, found a problem, fixed it but didn't do any service paper work so when she called recently she was told her warranty is invalid as there has never been a service (there's been three) and so she had to pay for an engineer at extortionate ammounts.

Basically, what I have managed to trace the current issue down to on the phone with her is the symptoms are boiler coming on and going off every 5 to 10 seconds on average. Boiler coming on when she has turned it off.

The stat is wireless and is RF. I initially said someone else with the same stat is causing hers to come on and off whilst each stat is arguing over wether the boiler should be on or off. To prove this I got her to set the stat to 15c effectively telling the boiler to turn off. The boiler did the on / off / on / off cycle every 5 seconds roughly. So I had her set it to 30c and the boiler stayed on constantly for the rest of the phone call. I can assume here that next doors stat is currently trying to set the room temp higher (on) and therefore trying to also set her boiler on., preventing it from remaining OFF and having no effect when her stat is on.

Can someone confirm my thought process?

Looks like I'll be travelling to Leeds on Saturday to change RF freqency on the stat! 5 hour trip but get to see nan.

The next thing is the descrepancy with the 5 year warranty... She paid to have someone come out to fix this when it should have been covered under the warranty. AND there is still a problem - he also complained about not knowing about the stat and said it should be replaced (which is probably why there is still an issue).

For now I've told her to manually switch the boiler off by the power switch on the boiler itself. Can't see this being a problem - it's relatively new.
    Oh Nana, what's my name?

Hi tony, sorry i know nothing about boilers mate but if your in leeds on sat give me a shout im only down the road.
    If its not broke don't fix it.

Comment

Okay Si will do! Actually will be around Wetherby ~ish if you know that place?
      Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Originally posted by dieselboy View Post
        Okay Si will do! Actually will be around Wetherby ~ish if you know that place?
        OOOOOOHHHHHHH very posh, i better wear my best clobber & wash the truck.

Comment

Originally posted by si tate View Post
          OOOOOOHHHHHHH very posh, i better wear my best clobber & wash the truck.

Why is it dirty?

Comment

Does she live in a block where they've had a lot done together? From my experience of new builds, I would say it's entirely plausible that they've left them all on the same frequency and everyone's boilers are going mad.

Comment

It's a bungalow in a cul-de-sac type road and she doesn't know - I asked that one! I'm guessing either a neighbor or someone "beyond the garden bush" has had a replacement and been fitted with the same stat make - most likely by the same company that "know nothing about it" like you mentioned.
              Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
                Why is it dirty?
                Not really but could do with a quick once over.

Comment

If she is old, and you fix it, make sure you charge her over 20,000 quid.

I've seen rogue traders, s'easy.
                  Sent from the iPad you "lost"

Comment

Originally posted by slobodan View Post
                    If she is old, and you fix it, make sure you charge her over 20,000 quid.

I've seen rogue traders, s'easy.
                    You're not wrong. Infuriates me, though.
                    Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Originally posted by si tate View Post
                      Not really but could do with a quick once over.

There's no comma in my question!

Comment

Originally posted by dieselboy View Post
                        It's a bungalow in a cul-de-sac type road and she doesn't know - I asked that one! I'm guessing either a neighbor or someone "beyond the garden bush" has had a replacement and been fitted with the same stat make - most likely by the same company that "know nothing about it" like you mentioned.
                        In that case, it's probably not another sender, but could just be interference from something she's bought recently. My TV changes to AV everytime I get a text message.....

Either way, it's the stat. Personally, I would consider installing a proper one with wires and throwing that thing in the bin.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
                          There's no comma in my question!
                          I see what you've done there.

Comment

Our wireless doorbell occassionally goes off for no apparent reason. Sometimes at 3am in the morning which makes you jump out of bed, believe me!
                            Never seen anyone at any of the other houses in the street, not even a garage door opening. We live in a road with no house behind us, so it has to be someone we can see.
                            Failing that the unit is buggered. Just bear that in mind....
                            "B.A." Baracus: "Talk to me, talk sense so I can talk back. Not all this jibberjabber like breaking the peace and all that."
                            www.johnthebuilder.info

Comment

Originally posted by Wolfracer View Post
                              Our wireless doorbell occassionally goes off for no apparent reason. Sometimes at 3am in the morning which makes you jump out of bed, believe me!
                              Never seen anyone at any of the other houses in the street, not even a garage door opening. We live in a road with no house behind us, so it has to be someone we can see.
                              Failing that the unit is buggered. Just bear that in mind....
                              Mine does as well, maybe we have the same frequency?

What sort of range do you think they have?

Comment

Working...
                              X