Alloy Wheels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alloy Wheels

I'm sure it's been covered before, but I can't find it - the alloys on my Surf could do with a bit of TLC, the lacquer is coming off etc. Anyone refurbed their own alloys or is best left to the pros? If so anyone know anywhere decent in the Herts area?

Cheers,

Paul

anyone?

Comment

Originally posted by paulc
      anyone?
      Paul.

Have a look at this link, got some contacts in it. I'm going to have a go at doing mine myself. It's time consuming to do a full polish on them especially because of the complex design, you need to take the laquer off first, any good paint remover will do it although POR-strip from www.frost.co.uk is the muts nuts.

I will probably strip the laquer off mine, give them a good clean up, use an self etch primer and then paint them black as I think that will look really trick.

If you polish them yourself you will need to use a proper polishing kit or wet and dry paper in ever finer grades until the right finish is given. Then you will need to use a good quality alloy wheel laquer to protect them.

Cheers

Comment

Alloy Wheels

HI THERE

THERE IS A WHEEL/TYRE PLACE ON THE A10 AT THE CROSSROADS AT CHESHUNT HERTS. I HAD THE SAME PROBLEM! IT COST ABOUT £75 QUID PER WHEEL TO BE REFURBISHED.BUT THEY CANT BE REPOLISHED AS THEY ARE SPUN ALLOY....BUT YOU CAN HAVE ANY PAINT COLOUR YOU WANT...I FOUND THAT WAS EXSPENSIVE AND RELPACED MY WHEELS WITH CHROME STEELS 15X8 FOR AN EXTRA £100. havn't got the phone number so try yellow pages...hope this is of some help...

BANANA

Comment

http://www.wheelrefurbishing.co.uk/services.htm

They're in Apsley Herts. I've used them quite a few times and they're very good. I don't know how much they charge for diamond turning and lacquering (this is the original finish) but they will shot blast, powder coat and lacquer a set of 16" Toyota wheels for £92.50 including collection and delivery around Herts and North London
          Last edited by Elvz; 19 July 2004, 19:28.

Comment

I read Halfrauds are doing wheel refurbishment, dunno about cost though
            Rick

Comment

Diamond Turning

For diamond turning try www.spitandpolish.co.uk
              They are based in Kent, but many of the wheel/tyre companies send their wheels to them so you may have a local distributor.
              As for cost - we paid around £50 per wheel 18 months ago for re-finishing of a set of Jaguar wheels. They made a very good job of them, but do not offer a guarantee on diamond turned and laquered wheels as stone chips can easily penetrate the laquer.
              Keith

Comment

Cheers guys, think I'll give the firm in Apsley a go, seems like reasonable prices.

Comment

Working...
                X