Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help! Vibrations when driving...

Morning Gents.

This morning my truck has developed a weird vibrating when driving. It only does it under drive, i.e if you back off the accelerator it doesn't do it, nor does it do it if you press the clutch. Only seems to start in 3rd, and in 4th n 5th.

There's a weird sound too when crawling if you accelerate a little then let off, like there's a light grinding, can't really explain what it sounds like, not a grinding but kind of?

I took it to the garage where i had my last service (he owns 2 Surfs) and he immediately said it was the Universal Joint on the prop shaft. Does this sound right? He said dead easy job, in the day etc.

Was crapping it, cos it's our planned boys off roading wkend in Sth wales next wkend!

I hope i can get it sorted quickly and cheaply. Any help or advise would be very much appreciated. cheers
    www.vidamusic.co.uk

Dmf? But that would be noisy all the time.
    Last edited by Albannach; 12 February 2011, 13:16.
    Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

That said, if you've already had it physically diagnosed by a mechanic with Surf experience, why are you asking here?

Comment

Originally posted by Albannach View Post
        That said, if you've already had it physically diagnosed by a mechanic with Surf experience, why are you asking here?
        He only diagnosed it from what i told him. I just wanna be sure mate is all. Sorry, what is DMF?
        www.vidamusic.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by VidaMusic View Post
          He only diagnosed it from what i told him. I just wanna be sure mate is all. Sorry, what is DMF?
          You took it to him and he offered a diagnosis without looking at it? Wow...

DMF is the flywheel.

Comment

Yes mate. He seems a decent bloke, and like i say, i take it there for my services. Do you think this is the prob then from what i said? Never done it before, and i know it wasnt doing it couple days ago because i was on the A38 at about 80mph and it was fine. Haven't been playing or anything, so it would've pretty much come on from nowhere?

As it is i can't really go above 50 ish?

I looked on Milners and RoughTrax and the part is only really cheap, and i have a no. to call on Monday, Wilson Drive Shafts, who do it, and have everything in stock.
            www.vidamusic.co.uk

Comment

Yep, it could be a UJ, if I'd thought before I replied to you, I'd not have said the DMF.

It could be lots of things though, diff bearings, wheel bearings etc.. It's difficuilt to be 100% certain with on-line diagnostics (yesterdays fault code thing being a prime example), but UJs is where I'd start.

Comment

Its 'usually' the UJ for something like that, especially on a lifted truck that goes offroad lots.

Needs greasing regularly.

Aftermarket UJ's rarely last more than 12-24months on our truck, it does lots of towing, lots of muddy offroading and runs at a stupid angle turning 33" tyres. Poor things!!

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN View Post
                  Its 'usually' the UJ for something like that, especially on a lifted truck that goes offroad lots.

Needs greasing regularly.

Aftermarket UJ's rarely last more than 12-24months on our truck, it does lots of towing, lots of muddy offroading and runs at a stupid angle turning 33" tyres. Poor things!!

That said, i might give Toyota a ring 1st thing Monday mornin to see how much they'll charge to fit the OEM one...
                  www.vidamusic.co.uk

Comment

OEM Part

Buy the part from Toyota and get your mechanic to fit it, you'll save a fortune in labour costs !!

Regards,
                    Pete.

Comment

Prop UJ?

Spend a tenner buying one from RT, fit it yourself. Total cost, about a tenner and about 1/2hr.

It's not a difficult job. This caused my old 2nd gen to be rather rumbly / vibrate..eee.

Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Originally posted by red barron View Post
                        Buy the part from Toyota and get your mechanic to fit it, you'll save a fortune in labour costs !!

Regards,
                        Pete.
                        Better still fit it your self!!! All you need is a couple of spanners,a lump hammer and a couple of large old sockets!!
                        If you don't have a belly like Mr Happy then you don't even need to jack up the truck.

I think there was a link to a You tube vid on here somwhere!!

Regards

Mark

Comment

If you don't have large old sockets. A 4.5 ton shackle is perfect for the uj to sit on while you knock the hardy spicer free.
                          Brian

Comment

Wicked, I'll search YouTube n see if I can do it myself. Thanks lads
                            www.vidamusic.co.uk

Comment

Are some suggesting doing it under the truck?

Personally, I think its easier to just drop the prop off, then change the UJ in the comfort of a garage (or in my case, Dave's garage )
                              Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Working...
                              X