CB Vs Walkie Talkie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CB Vs Walkie Talkie

Are the two compatible? I assume if they were both on the same frequency they would work together, but do some walkie talkies have channels like a CB radio, or would you have to search through the frequencies before you pick up a channel?

I guess if you were out with someone who had a CB in their truck and they said, "Go to channel 26", you'd be stuck if you just had a walkie talkie?
    'Tis better to sting than to be stung!

We use the old Icom stuff on the shoot, works pretty well over short distances
    Death rides a Black Horse

Comment

Just been browsing Ebay, there are some nice hand held CB's on there. May buy one in the future as I don't want to fit one in the truck this time.

Still can't find a walkie talkie / CB hybrid though, maybe I'm just not looking hard enough!

Comment

Try Motorola ? they have multi-channel stuff, we got the old Icom stuff from a dealer in Leeds city centre, big heavy things, clip on your belt have about 40 channels etc poor battery life, but enough to get us through a shoot day

Comment

Cheers John, I'm in no rush, just filling time in really!

Still hanging onto you Surf mate?

Comment

Hanging on being the operative word ! We are working on a month by month basis at moment, however the Surf goes in for cosmetic works next week, will most likely sell if all comes to an end in April

Comment

Sorry to hear that John, I hope things take a turn for the better for you.

Comment

Just look for 'PMR' radios. Hand held and vehicle mounted are available, with ranges suited to offroading. Cheap, easily portable and generally the band isn't populated by ar5eholes as CB is now.
                Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Someone gave me a hand held CB once. I managed to rig a power supply up to it stolen / borrowed from the printer down stairs. Turned out it was AC current but it worked strangely although people couldn't hear me very well.
                  I was about 13 or 14 so excuse the "oh it's AC but the right voltage I'll try it any way".

Interested in hand helds also if they are relatively compact and can be powered easily.. The hand held one I was given was huge. IT was like holding a shoe box up to your head.
                  Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

CB handhelds are big because they're old. Dunno if anyone builds them now. Go PMR. Much better - and you dont wanna talk to the cranks who use CB now anyway!

Comment

Originally posted by dieselboy View Post
                      The hand held one I was given was huge. IT was like holding a shoe box up to your head.
                      Thats because you were only 13 or 14.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
                        Thats because you were only 13 or 14.
                        Surely by that logic the box would have been smaller as the feet wouldn't be fully grownD

Alan
                        www.amcbs.webeden.co.uk www.xjrestorations.co.uk

Comment

Thanks for the tip Andy, I was actually looking at PMR radios on Ebay last night. These don't look to bad for the money and I've read some good reviews on them.

[EDIT] Even better price at Argos
                          Last edited by Scorpion; 2 February 2011, 11:08.

Comment

Originally posted by Scorpion View Post
                            Thanks for the tip Andy, I was actually looking at PMR radios on Ebay last night. These don't look to bad for the money and I've read some good reviews on them.

[EDIT] Even better price at Argos
                            That's the ones I've got. I haven't had any problems with them yet. They have even taken the bashing of being clipped on one of our dogs' collars for a while.
                            Gone from 4x4 to 1x2

Comment

Yep, they look fine. If you're just looking for short range 'truck to truck' comms, or local (same village) sort of comms, PMR is ideal.

Comment

Working...
                              X