Advice needed sticky caliper...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice needed sticky caliper...

Iv got a sticky driver side front caliper... It only seems to do it when the brakes are hot and is making braking really dangerous coz its sightly pulling to the right when driving until iv braked a few times then it pulls more and more, and then pulling to the left hard when braking, along with the very bad smell of burning!
    It started doing it last month, i thought it was down to road salt/grit coz i gave the wheels, discs and calipers a good blast off with the jet wash and its been fine for a month but has now come back with a vegance!

Is there any way to fix/ free it off or will i have to replace the whole caliper?? what sort of money would i pay for a caliper for a Surf?

First check your brake pads, if they are near the limit then the pistons in the caliper will be a long way out. If the seals around the pistons have perished then corrosion sets in and the pistons will sieze.

If this is the case remove the caliper and clean as much corrosion / dirt away from the piston as possible, then spray plenty of release fluid around the pistons, better still soak a rag in release fluid and wrap it around the piston. Leave it overnight to penetrate and then coat the piston with copperslip or a suitable anti sieze compound.

Use a carver clamp or vice if available and try to press the piston back into the caliper. It may work, it may not but it's worth a try.

I believe a replacement caliper is around £84+ vat and postage from Roughtrax, see here.
    'Tis better to sting than to be stung!

Comment

Originally posted by Scorpion View Post
      First check your brake pads, if they are near the limit then the pistons in the caliper will be a long way out. If the seals around the pistons have perished then corrosion sets in and the pistons will sieze.

If this is the case remove the caliper and clean as much corrosion / dirt away from the piston as possible, then spray plenty of release fluid around the pistons, better still soak a rag in release fluid and wrap it around the piston. Leave it overnight to penetrate and then coat the piston with copperslip or a suitable anti sieze compound.

Use a carver clamp or vice if available and try to press the piston back into the caliper. It may work, it may not but it's worth a try.

I believe a replacement caliper is around £84+ vat and postage from Roughtrax, see here.
      Thanks for that mate iv managed to get it booked in my mates garage tomora mornin, hes Toyota trained so if anyone can fix it he can... if i need one il probably get one of one of the breakers on here if its not too expensive. im really hopin its the pads or sumit simple coz January's a tough month for everyone and iv not got much funds!
      I think im gonna Ebay the Surf when its sorted anyway to get something more economical to run, im doin a lot more miles for work now so needs must im afraid! il be sad to see it go.

Comment

alright mate,didnt know you was on here,i made you a swap offer on your surf against my subaru wagon,the y reg green one on swapz

Comment

Originally posted by greeley View Post
          alright mate,didnt know you was on here,i made you a swap offer on your surf against my subaru wagon,the y reg green one on swapz
          aye mate i know the one. u get it on ebay yet?

Comment

yeah pal,ive put it on,99p start with no reerve,dont anyone on here think im advertising,the guy asked me a question

Comment

Originally posted by greeley View Post
              ive put it on,99p start with no reerve
              Are they worth that much?
              Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

come on,it been christams

Comment

w33ler33ler,contact me asap,ive sent you my number through swaps mate.thanks

Comment

If jammed solid enlist an assistant, take off the wheel and pull out the pads then get the assistant to stand on the brakes until the piston(s) move, wrap a rag around a lever (flat crowbar thing) and use this to push them back in by levering against the disc, keep repeating until moving freely then push out and treat as already mentioned with coppaslip. Worked on mine.

Cheers

Ben

Comment

Just got it back from the garage, its seized solid, my mate tried to free it off with no luck so im afraid its a new one on the cards but at least itl be spot on then!

Comment

mmmmm,good luck

Comment

Working...
                        X