One of those days..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One of those days..

On the upside, it could have happened at high speed on a busy road (it happened at 5mph on a farm road).
    Then, in an effort to get ahead of the transporter taking it home, we took a farm road short cut and hit a roe buck with the Rangey; not a pleasant period ensued, and we were on our way with next weekends' roast across the back seat.
    I'm thinking this might be down to the very premature failure of a Milners supplied ball joint, but I'll hopefully find out for sure tomorrow when I get it to bits.
    Roughtrax, credit card, etc etc
    Attached Files
    3rd gen 3.0 SSR-V '98 R

Your not alone, there's been a few 3rd gens that have had a front wheel collapse in the past .... n glad to hear nobody was hurt !!

Jess
    "Cos short cuts can cost more in the long run"
    Buncefield Burner

Comment

Ah ha, am I wrong in prematurely blaming the ball joint then ?
      3rd gen 3.0 SSR-V '98 R

Comment

Glad to hear you're all okay.

Thats the main thing.

Cars are only metal and can be replaced or repaired. Humans can't.

My mate hit a deer on his way to work. it hit the bumper and went over the top, he said the sound was sickening, not just "something that happens" he said he could imagine it was akin to hitting a human in terms of impact etc... Not good.

however, do you think the the repairs will be deer? probably gonna cost you a buck or too I imagine!

Frightening about the BJ though......
        "B.A." Baracus: "Talk to me, talk sense so I can talk back. Not all this jibberjabber like breaking the peace and all that."
        www.johnthebuilder.info

Comment

I always buy parts from r-trax, ive heard too many stories of milners products failing.
          Im not saying that milners are at fault but it just sets alarm bells off when you said milners & failure.

Looks as if you bought your springs & shocks from r-traxs.
          If its not broke don't fix it.

Comment

thats nasty - i thought those days had gone with the morris marina - good to hear it was 5mph and everyones ok.

Comment

Originally posted by gary-r View Post
              thats nasty - i thought those days had gone with the morris marina - good to hear it was 5mph and everyones ok.
              Funny you mentioned morris marinas, that was my first car and the off side wheel did that while I was over taking two lorrys on a dual carriage way, blind luck I pulled in between them and onto the hard shoulder

Glad no one was hurt and it was only 5mph !

peace
              cal
              Bala Mud, best underseal there is, only £30 per application.

www.thecellardwellers.co.uk

Comment

Nah, nothings changed, they still break, done a 2nd Gen, a Saab and a Honda just recently.

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

You too heh with the Marina...

Back in the day Baby

Comment

glad you ok, as you say coudl have been a lot worse,,

does make you wonder tho, any tell tale signs of it going?

maybe its something to think about changing every couple of years maybe??

Originally posted by TonyN View Post
                    Nah, nothings changed, they still break, done a 2nd Gen, a Saab and a Honda just recently.

and here is that second gen when it happened..

first ever time off roading a well..

he said exactly teh same, thank god i wasnt passing a school or on the motorway etc

Comment

Lawsy, the steering had been a bit wilful, but I thought it was the rack, as it has a little play anyway.
                      Anyway, definitely bottom ball joint failure. The socket had no grease, just dried up remains and dirt. Definitely a Milners part (I still have the receipt), purchased 22/06/10. I know there will be no claim against them, but I will be on the phone to them.
                      Unfortunately, I also need a new tyre (2" slash in sidewall, tyre only 6 months old), an inner CV boot kit (Toyota only part, spendy, even from RT) and an ABS sensor (see "parts wanted" section).
                      3rd gen 3.0 SSR-V '98 R

Comment

tiz why i like toyota
                        you show them a part only lasted that long and they would bend over backwards
                        well i know my local toyota dealers would with out a dowt
                        am not die lex sick its you that cant read mate

Comment

Aye, would be nice to be able to deal with Toyota here, but they're Arnold Clark, and totally useless and unhelpful with UK stuff, never mind imports.
                          I can see how the bottom balljoint takes a fair punishment, and my Surf is used regularly offroad, but to fail with 6 months service is atrocious. They shouldn't be allowed to sell such dangerously poor quality parts.
                          3rd gen 3.0 SSR-V '98 R

Comment

Wasn't there a grease nipple on it?
                            Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

No, unlike the track rod ends I bought from RT.
                              3rd gen 3.0 SSR-V '98 R

Comment

Working...
                              X