My New Head

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My New Head

Well the shiny bits have arrived,and I began remounting it all today.

I went for the AMC bare head if any of you don't know already LOL.

From what I can see,and with my limited experience of buying new cylinder heads it seems to be finished really well. I commented in another post ealier,that the more I look at the old head I'm convinced its one of the cheap Ebay/Chinese ones. The casting is rough,and I can't see Toyota would have released it like that??

Hopefully lunchtime tomorrow,I should be listening to the sweet sound of my diesel engine!!

Looks like a quality part you've got there
    En Ferus Hostis. Be your own man. Follow nobody.

Comment

sure its not upside down.
      Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by Surfer Ross View Post
        Looks like a quality part you've got there
        Don't look alf bad does it Ross!!!

Comment

Originally posted by gwh200 View Post
          sure its not upside down.
          Nah the Trucks on its roof

Comment

We've just got in a 1KZ-TE off a '96 Landcruiser, cracked between the valves (we pressure tested it, as sometimes the cracks are only superficial).
            Wondering a couple of things:
            How much did you pay for the AMC head, as that's what we're selling this guy; we'll build it up with the valves etc from his own head.
            How were your valve clearances in the new head ? Did you have to change the shims by a drastic amount ?
            I've built these up a few times, but a few years ago, so was wondering, as I'm not sure what I have in the way of those type of shims...
            3rd gen 3.0 SSR-V '98 R

Comment

Originally posted by malxwal View Post
              We've just got in a 1KZ-TE off a '96 Landcruiser, cracked between the valves (we pressure tested it, as sometimes the cracks are only superficial).
              Wondering a couple of things:
              How much did you pay for the AMC head, as that's what we're selling this guy; we'll build it up with the valves etc from his own head.
              How were your valve clearances in the new head ? Did you have to change the shims by a drastic amount ?
              I've built these up a few times, but a few years ago, so was wondering, as I'm not sure what I have in the way of those type of shims...
              I paid £440 + Vat for the bare head,but Barry reckons they never sell bare heads. It worked better for me because being in France I have'nt got the agg and expense of sending the old unit back!

I have'nt changed the shims yet,but it all measured out at 3 are within tolerence,4x 0.1 over,and 1 x 0.15 over.
              I will order up the replacment shims over the weekend and change them SAP!

Regards

Mark

Comment

It's a good price, as is the price he charges for a fully built head with all the necessary gubbins to fit it. I'm not sure we could compete with those prices, since we only get in stuff to order.
                We've sold AMC replacement heads for many different engines over the years, and I don't recall ever having to deal with a warranty claim, they are really good stuff.
                The shimming is pretty good, another sign of a well made head. It's often a problem with aftermarket valves which are just a few thou out on dimension, which leaves you having to cut seats, tail valves or machine shims....
                Last edited by malxwal; 20 January 2011, 21:55. Reason: More info
                3rd gen 3.0 SSR-V '98 R

Comment

Hi i had an amc head fitted in mine 6 month ago a mate fitted it for me, its running great now my mate said it looked well made
                  Last edited by Koi; 21 January 2011, 02:58.

Comment

Hmm, I noticed a dipstick tube running up between cyls 1 & 2 on the inlet manifold/injection pump side. Both my oil and transmission fluid dipstick tubes run up the exhaust manifold side.
                    3rd gen 3.0 SSR-V '98 R

Comment

Can we see the old one please?

Comment

Hmm, I noticed a dipstick tube running up between cyls 1 & 2 on the inlet manifold/injection pump side. Both my oil and transmission fluid dipstick tubes run up the exhaust manifold side.
                        It's a 3rd Gen thing, intercooler means you can't put the dipstick where it is on a 2nd Gen.
                        4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Aah, I see. Mine has no intercooler. I never noticed this one was the intercooler model.
                          3rd gen 3.0 SSR-V '98 R

Comment

Aah, I see. Mine has no intercooler. I never noticed this one was the intercooler model.
                            It's not, its a 2nd Gen.

What I ment was the 2nd Gens (apart from very last year year) have the dip stick on the N/S, 3rd Gens, to allow for the intercooler models have the engine oil dipsticks on the O/S.

The autobox dipstick is also swapped sides on 3rd Gens.

:edited due to muppetery, ignore rest of the discussion :
                            4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Would be nice to see the state of the old one. The new head does look nice doesn't it!

Aren't you tempted a little bit to do some port matching at least?
                              Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Working...
                              X