Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CB Radio

http://www.4x4cb.com/public/page.cfm?Page=650

From the people in the know, would any of these be any good ?
    If it can be broken it can be fixed

iam sure tobyjug sells cbs dude
    am not die lex sick its you that cant read mate

Comment

Nah, thats his mate Jan.

I'm thinking any of those will be fine - and not a bad price either.
      Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Just make sure that whatever you get you check the SWR before using it

Comment

swr? whats that?

Comment

Standing Wave Ratio. Its a measurement of antenna matching via measuring how much power is reflected back to the amplifier output, rather than being radiated by the antenna.

Comment

so is the higher number the better?

Comment

Originally posted by JUDWAK View Post
                so is the higher number the better?
                Im guessing as low as possible as you want as little power going back to the amp output as possible, I cant imagine it would be good for the set otherwise.

Im sure someone will soon correct me if im wrong.

Thanks for the replys, they do seem a good price.

Comment

No, you're right. As low a reflected power reading as possible.

I dont know how it's indicated or spoken of in CB circles as I dont have access to a SWR meter, but in my world, as close to 1:1 as possible is best.

<edit> The Wikipedia page is a reasonable explanation.

Comment

If you need to borrow a SWR meter PM me your address when you need it and I'll drop you mine if you can send it back fairly sharpish. Its a little pointles buying one as you'll only use it once if you're keeping the same rig in the same vehicle

Comment

Originally posted by biosurf View Post
                      If you need to borrow a SWR meter PM me your address when you need it and I'll drop you mine if you can send it back fairly sharpish. Its a little pointles buying one as you'll only use it once if you're keeping the same rig in the same vehicle
                      Thanks for the offer, im still considering one but there have been a few occasions so far where one would have been handy.

If I needed to take the ariel down for say going on a ferry, train or under a barrier would it need to be re-tuined again ?

Comment

Originally posted by mckirdy-services View Post
                        If I needed to take the ariel down for say going on a ferry, train or under a barrier would it need to be re-tuined again ?
                        No. As long as your cable is a constant, and the position is roughly the same each time, the only thing you can do to tune a bog standard CB antenna is change the length - which if cutting, is a once only deal!

Comment

Originally posted by Apache View Post
                          No. As long as your cable is a constant, and the position is roughly the same each time, the only thing you can do to tune a bog standard CB antenna is change the length - which if cutting, is a once only deal!
                          Thanks, also how carefull must you be when running the cable say next to other 12v possitive cables? is there much of an issue with interference?

Comment

Just try to keep your antenna cable away from other cables is best advice. A few inches or so will suffice.

Comment

I fitted a Midland 98 to my 2nd gen. It fitted very neatly into where the ashtray was. It worked straight out of the box, no SWR meters etc. Just wired it up, fitted a mag mount to the roof and plugged in the antenna cable.
                              'Tis better to sting than to be stung!

Comment

Working...
                              X