Roof rack quest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roof rack quest

Having searched for a while for a rack for the surf,I've decided to fabricate an aluminium one long and wide enough for what I want.I am also going to make it removable via pins, for when it's not needed.
    My question is, can I remove the gutter track on the roof and replace it with my own using an ally strip 2.3 metres long using self tapping screws? Do I have to remove the headliner to remove the old bolts or plates? Can anyone tell me how the gutter track is actually fitted in the factory. Thanks in advance,James

If you don't want to remove the gutter track, I have the threaded widgets which fit inside it to screw either a home made or a Thule rack to. Called channel nuts, I believe. £7 for a set of 9 (8 to use and one spare) delivered.
    Cheers,
    Mark

Comment

Bushwhacker did a custom made one for his 3rd gen, you might want to give him a shout to see how he went about it.
      If its not broke don't fix it.

Comment

I have a safari style roof rack that i removed from my Gen2, it is approx 1.6 x 0.9 x 0.15 M (LxWxD) manufactured by aiba works (Japan?) in stainless and ally. It sits on two legs over each rear door and one that fits over the rear wash wipe spindle. If this may be useful to you feel free to mail me on paulp32@hotmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by markp2 View Post
          If you don't want to remove the gutter track, I have the threaded widgets which fit inside it to screw either a home made or a Thule rack to. Called channel nuts, I believe. £7 for a set of 9 (8 to use and one spare) delivered.
          Cheers,
          Mark
          I am interested in these channel nuts, do you have paypal??

Comment

Originally posted by si tate View Post
            Bushwhacker did a custom made one for his 3rd gen, you might want to give him a shout to see how he went about it.
            Thanks I'll give him a shout when I can pm him!

Comment

Originally posted by surfivor View Post
              I have a safari style roof rack that i removed from my Gen2, it is approx 1.6 x 0.9 x 0.15 M (LxWxD) manufactured by aiba works (Japan?) in stainless and ally. It sits on two legs over each rear door and one that fits over the rear wash wipe spindle. If this may be useful to you feel free to mail me on paulp32@hotmail.com
              Thanks for the offer mate but I need a rack a bit longer and wider. I'm not sure if it would fit a gen 3 as I bought roof bars years ago that were off a second gen and they didn't fit!cheers,James

Comment

No worries

Comment

Originally posted by noobysurfer View Post
                  I am interested in these channel nuts, do you have paypal??
                  If you mean rivnuts I have a set, you can borrow it, I can send it to you you can use it and send it back to me ..

Comment

I think he means the flanged adaptors that fit in the roof channels of a 3rd gen. Rivnuts are nuts that can be riveted to a plate, as a captive nut, are they not?

A photo of these channel mounts would help. Might have a set myself.
                    Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Originally posted by surfivor View Post
                      How much do you want for it and do you have any pics?

Alan
                      www.amcbs.webeden.co.uk www.xjrestorations.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                      X