No announcement yet.

Oh what a surprise!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The economy isn't balanced, too much wealth owned by too little, without spread spending hundreds of smaller businesses just will not survive. Only the big players will be left and the savings currently enjoyed by us the consumer, because of fierce competition, will be gradually eroded. The credit culture needs to change without doubt, but businesses going under simply because the banks will not lend to them is crazy. Plenty of viable business has been crushed with the cease in lending from high street banks.
    Alan

yoshie "Didn't know they had a pill for laziness, anyway get well soon."

Comment

Originally posted by KERRSURF View Post
      Only the big players will be left and the savings currently enjoyed by us the consumer, because of fierce competition, will be gradually eroded.
      I'm not sure there's as much UK based competition as thought. Chinese imports are what is wiping out UK business (especially low end consumer technology) - all with consumer willingness.

Who can blame us?

A quick shufty round the internet turns up 7" LCD TVs for £20, spotlight bulbs 10 for a fiver (as opposed to a fiver each down B&Q), DVD players for £15 etc etc. They are getting their foot in the door in the technology market place, and UK industry doesn't stand a chance! OK, we might be able to build a better quality product, but who is going to spend £200 on an LCD telly, when you can buy 10 for that price from China?

Our target markets IMO should be very high tech, leading edge novel technologies of small volume / high value, or spin off the IPR at high price to volume manufacturers. In other words, we need our own Silicon Valleys, but as I said earlier, we dont produce graduates in those fields. They're hard subjects - we'd rather do Business Management shite for all the businesses we dont have anymore.

When I was in MOD, we used to get a couple of grads per year into our team under their employment policy. We used to call them 'underwater basket weavers' because that was (generally) usually how useful they were with their odd degrees and cr@p work ethic.
      Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Originally posted by Albannach View Post

Even at grass roots level, developing nations will happily pay 3 or 4 times as much as can be earned in the UK, just to get experienced people; their track record is irrelevant. .
        My curiosity is aroused. Which developing countries are paying 3 to 4 times the salary of the UK worker and in which sectors ?. Im finding that rather hard to believe.

Bogus
        Сви можемо

Comment

Originally posted by Albannach View Post
          In the UK, we don't pay the best salaries, so don't get the best people. In Luxembourg, Switzerland and Malta, for example, they do pay top dollar, so do get the best. Look at where the banks (as an example) didn't fail and look at their salary profile; they get paid much, much, more than our's do.
          My curiosity is also aroused...

Comment

Originally posted by Bogus View Post
            My curiosity is aroused. Which developing countries are paying 3 to 4 times the salary of the UK worker and in which sectors ?. Im finding that rather hard to believe.

Bogus
            In my personal experience, in the USA, Defence contractors. Like for like job is around twice what UK workers get paid. Cost of living is lower also, which tends to magnify the difference.

Comment

Originally posted by Apache View Post
              In my personal experience, in the USA, Defence contractors. Like for like job is around twice what UK workers get paid. Cost of living is lower also, which tends to magnify the difference.
              Does the US qualify as a developing country these days?! I knew things were bad there, but even so...
              Meanwhile I am pleased to announce that serious steps have been taken to deal with the issue of bankers' bonuses:
              http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/index....3421&Itemid=28

Comment

Originally posted by Surfer Ross View Post
                I think it's coming, like it or not I'd place a fair wager that we'll have a base rate of at least 2.5% before the year is out and 4%+ in 2012.

Not before time if you ask me.

Bang on - otherwise we are rewarding stupidity and punishing those who were actually prudent with their cash. It's not nice - but why should people who over borrowed be re-imbursed with the money of savers?? All that does is encourage people to pi55 all their money up the wall and think - bugger it, somebody will bail me out anyway.
                Take your words, put them on a plate, add a little bit of humble pie, and eat them!

Comment

Originally posted by flounderbout View Post
                  I am pleased to announce that serious steps have been taken to deal with the issue of bankers' bonuses:
                  http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/index....3421&Itemid=28
                  Can't beat a bit of daily Mash!
                  Take your words, put them on a plate, add a little bit of humble pie, and eat them!

Comment

Originally posted by Apache View Post
                    And if you're in ... ahem.. banking, you can always go and work in Bermuda or Luxembourg - where the tax breaks are mucho better!

if you stay in bermuda for 3 years, I don't think you pay income tax at all. Plus you get a tan!

Comment

Originally posted by Shaft120 View Post
                      And if you're in ... ahem.. banking,
                      The money looks good, but I doubt my brain would allow me to remain awake whilst doing such a job

Comment

Originally posted by Bogus View Post

Bogus
                        China & Angola are two that I know about. Angola give a higher salary and uplifts for working there. If you want to know the exact figures, they're out there.

Energy.

I don't care.
                        Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

Even my particular job. I can go to Qatar, do largely the same job, and get paid about £120k, that's more than twice my current basic salary and almost 4 times what some of the lower graded Operators get. The down sides are that they are contract posts (which always pay more) and short term.

Some of you appear to work in the same industry as me, so you'll know full well how much we can make by going to the likes of the Middle East, China and Africa. So stop trying to be smart arses.

Comment

Originally posted by flounderbout View Post
                            Does the US qualify as a developing country these days?!
                            I don't think there was any suggestion that the USA is a developing country, where did you get that idea from?

Comment

I just had a thought that all this is quite comical coming from a forum of owners of imported Japanese trucks.

Go UK manufacturing !!!!
                              私のホバークラフト は鰻が一杯です。

Comment

Working...
                              X