Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fuel pump leak question

a complete pain to get out

mine's leaking somewhere, and it's not the top cover ... can't really see where at the bottom or back somewhere

so have ordered the seal kit which I hope will fix it. Of course it MIGHT be the big o-ring between the aluminium part and the distributor block - which would a diesel bob job and ?~300 quid

so do I change all the seals I can and put it in again .. in which case if I'm unlucky it'll be out again for a diesel bob job

or do a diesel bob regardless

or get a replacement pump from richard instead

if you could change in in ten minutes then the debate wouldn't be as bad, but it takes a whole day in reality to get out

rossyroo

Originally posted by rossyroo View Post
    a complete pain to get out

mine's leaking somewhere, and it's not the top cover ... can't really see where at the bottom or back somewhere

so have ordered the seal kit which I hope will fix it. Of course it MIGHT be the big o-ring between the aluminium part and the distributor block - which would a diesel bob job and ?~300 quid

so do I change all the seals I can and put it in again .. in which case if I'm unlucky it'll be out again for a diesel bob job

or do a diesel bob regardless

or get a replacement pump from richard instead

if you could change in in ten minutes then the debate wouldn't be as bad, but it takes a whole day in reality to get out

rossyroo
    having removed the back of the pump i would say stay well clear unless you know what your doing.I dont know how much richard charges for his pumps,but if it were me and i wanted peace of mind,i would get the whole unit re sealed by diesel bob.the pump shouldnt take anymore than a couple of hours to take out.
    www.overfab.uk

Comment

agreed if your compatant with mechanics then the seal kit should do ya it can be very fiddly job and theres lots of lil bits n bobs that you can loose or break. if your not to sure on mechanics you have 2 choices pay some one to recon it with said seal kit or buy a new pump. in all fareness though there isnt many places on the pump it can leak from so its defo a seal thats gone. is it front of pump or back of pump its leaking from?
      UBIQUE

Comment

As Mark says John if you want total peace of mind then go for the refurb.The 2nd hand pumps for a 2.4 i sell for £75 delivered.Although the ones i sell i haven't seen any signs of leaks but i cannot gaurentee that they wont leal in a week,a month or whatever.I am more than happy to sell one from a runner that the head had gone but still running when i got it home.Also is yours the mechanical pump or electrical pump
        https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

if tis not the lid thats leaking, its normally the small oval shaped covers on the lower sides of the pump. The outer one you can get to but the inner one needs the pump out.

If you can get the pump out, then you can change the seals ok.

I wouldn't recommend trying to change the seal on the back bit of the pump (distributive head) there are all sorts of gubbings on springs behind it. It dosn't often leak.
          4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Its an electronic pump

I couldn't really tell exactly where it was leaking from, I could see it dripping off the rib below it into the sump guard tray ... but I couldn't actually see it dripping off the pump itself, it must be leaking at the back oval seal thingy or between distributor block and casting - (hope not)

it's not leaking at lid seal, and not the front seal behind the plate with the resistor connections

I tried a dentists mirror with a torch, but couldn't tell anything. The only thing I do know is that if I stuck my hand under the pump, it came out wet twoards the back end so hoping its the rear seal

did somebody say a couple of hours to get out?
            that's going some ...

Comment

i managed a pump swap in a little over four hours it's going a bit quick but it's reasonably easy if you are confident enough in your abilities
              i also had to swap the pump due to a leak that i couldn't find so when the pump was finally removed i checked the seals and as previously mentioned it was the oval plates the seals were as hard as chuff..
              I'M ALWAYS IN THE SH'T, IT'S ONLY THE DEPTH THAT VARIES!!!!!!!!

Comment

what is the best way to lock the crankshaft when pulling the crankshaft nut off on an automatic.

the Oz site says jam the starter ring gear - but that'd be another x hours to get the starter off ...

I sort of got a crowbar on the internal ribs of the harmonic balancer pulley but it wasn't elegant! on an old post somebody made a special tool for it which looked the business but would be a few hours more work

what's the quick fix?

Comment

http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/showpost....8&postcount=19

Never failed me if you hook it on right, even with 4' of water pipe over breaker bar
                  4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

thanks Tony, I found your earlier post, so apologies for asking and not searching

I broke a bit of one of the little lugs ...
                    but stormforce is finding me another pulley

John

Comment

i locked the pulley by having a 24" breaker bar on the right chassis rail and then give the ignition a flick to loosen it it's barbaric but it works on most cars even when torqued up to 90ftlbs
                      I'M ALWAYS IN THE SH'T, IT'S ONLY THE DEPTH THAT VARIES!!!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X