anyone painted there chrome bumpers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• anyone painted there chrome bumpers

hi guys the bumpers on my 2nd gen are very good but have seen alot that rust very easy so my question has anyone treated them on the inside and painted them so they dont go rusty so quick thinking of doing mine but would appreciate your comments on how to do this.
    or do you think it would spoil look of truck
    cheers
    vince
    surfs just steal all ya money

A good clean and then treating them on the inside should do the trick, asthey rust from the inside out.
    私のホバークラフト は鰻が一杯です。

Comment

When I bought new rear chrome side panels they came pre treated with soem greasy coating. Do you know what we should top this up with? Cheers
      Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Originally posted by blackpoolsparks View Post
        A good clean and then treating them on the inside should do the trick, asthey rust from the inside out.
        Thats something thats always puzzled me. If it is true that the corosion starts on the inside face, eats its way through the bumper, then out through the chrome,.......then why do factory painted bumpers never seem to rot?........Cheers....Mick.
        " Time wounds all heels ".

Comment

i must admit i thought of smearing silicone grease on the inside
          surfs just steal all ya money

Comment

Originally posted by millepeed View Post
            hi guys the bumpers on my 2nd gen are very good but have seen alot that rust very easy so my question has anyone treated them on the inside and painted them so they dont go rusty so quick thinking of doing mine but would appreciate your comments on how to do this.
            or do you think it would spoil look of truck
            cheers
            vince
            Yes

it's not a five minute job.
            First I got work to media blast them, which revealed more holes, then I repaired all the holes (some where substantial) with fibre glass, then filler, then anti-rust paint. The inside got five coats of hamerite (kindly donated from work) then the outside got five coats of paint, and two coats of laquer.

It took six months (mainly due to work comitments), and one day to dent by reversing into next doors garage.
            Gone from 4x4 to 1x2

Comment

distance shot for you

Gone from 4x4 to 1x2

Comment

Originally posted by MWS View Post
                Thats something thats always puzzled me. If it is true that the corosion starts on the inside face, eats its way through the bumper, then out through the chrome,.......then why do factory painted bumpers never seem to rot?........Cheers....Mick.
                The chrome bumpers are thinner steel.

Comment

Couple more for you

Alan
                  www.amcbs.webeden.co.uk www.xjrestorations.co.uk

Comment

Filled and painted.....

Comment

Working...
                    X